The cost of specialty drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cost of specialty drugs

In the latest issue of AARP magazine, there is an article about the cost of specialty drugs, one of which is Tecfidera. The article says that Tec costs $88.28 per pill. Double that number if you take the suggested daily dose. This information makes me glad that I have insurance and reasonable co-pays.

It's just ridiculous

I went thru a snafu between the mail-order pharmacy and my insurance last year where the pharmacy was trying to bill me full price for my 28-day supply of Copaxone. When I saw the price tag I calculated out that it's about $400 per shot.

I know that it takes a ton of R&D money to manufacture the compounds and take them through trials. But still, the price tag blows my mind.

Ironically, now that I'm on the meds I will actually save on out-of-pocket costs compared to last year. Teva's Shared Solutions assistance program covers the out-of-pocket costs that I would otherwise be paying to meet my high deductible and coinsurance max. So I guess MS is saving me a few grand for the time being, but I'd far rather just not have the disease.
    Sx since 2007; Dx Oct. 2014. Started Copaxone after Dx...praying that it's working!

Comment

cost of specialty drugs

Just read that in AARP JerryD. Pretty expensive medication. Also glad I have insurance and biogen's co pay assistance program. Never pay anything for my tecfidera.

Comment

I just started Plegridy which costs just over $62,000 annually, so that's approximately $2500 per injection. Thankfully I have insurance and with the assistance program I pay $0.

Previously, I was on Copaxone for almost 12 years and what surprised/bothered me, was that the cost actually went up over the years. Again, I had the $0 copay assistance, but I had asked about the cost a few years ago when I was concerned I might lose my health insurance. Of course, I knew what the cost was originally when I was first diagnosed and choosing between the medications my doctor recommended.
        Dx'd : 10/30/2002
        Started Copaxone 12/16/2002
        Currently on Rituxan

Comment

Working...
        X