No more tecfidera for me :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more tecfidera for me :(

It seems I have developed an allergy to Tecfidera after taking it for 6 months. I'm bummed because I had little to no side effects while taking it. I'm off medicine for a month until my already scheduled MRI and appointment on Dec. 11. My Neuro mentioned possibly Gilenya next.

Tecfidera

Hi. What type of allergic reaction did you have to Tecfidera?

Comment

Over the course of a week, I developed hives that became progressively worse each day and always occurred an hour or so after taking tec. The last two days before calling my neuro, my throat felt like it was swelling. Very scary feeling. Really disappointed because I didn't mind tec at all, very little side effects and easy to take.

Comment

So sorry to hear! Just curious, did it just happen one day, or build up from flushing/itching to hives?
        Symptoms: 2009
        Dx: August 2013
        Extavia: Aug 2013-Feb 2014, Tecfidera: June 27, 2014-Today
        RNY Gastric Bypass: 07/2007, 130#s lost and never found again

Comment

I felt like the flushing became more frequent the week before I started to get hives but my neuro said probably unrelated. He was most concerned with the fact that my hives were becoming worse each day and with the feeling in my throat.

Comment

Did they pre-medicate you with Benadryl (before Tec)?

Comment

Have you contacted Biogen about this?

Comment

I have contacted Biogen.

As far as Benadryl, my neuro said that if it was just hives he would have had me stay on the tec and try taking Benadryl but because my throat was swelling, he did not want to take any chances. He said that typically when someone develops an allergy to a drug, it only gets worse each time they take it. That was definitely the case for me and he was worried it could turn into a life-threatening situation, not worth the risk when there are other drugs out there.

All that being said, I would have loved to stay on Tecfidera!

Comment

After 2 years Severe Alergic reaction takes me off Tecfidera immediately...

Well, yesterday was my last little green pill... For a little over 2 weeks now I have experienced severe hives, swelling (arms, legs, etc... mouth and tongue was last straw), runny nose, nausea, bowel issues and they just got worse and worse with each pill. Yes, yesterday morning I couldn't take it anymore and finally called the Tec nurse who very calmly asked me to call my doctor who told me to not even touch the medication let alone take any anymore as I obviously had built up an allergy to it.... My husband reminded me of several other episodes from about 6 months ago on that I just marked of as I took the medicine too close or maybe too far apart or too much or too little fat. So for about 6 months my body has been dealing with this I guess.

I had no idea that a person could do such a thing. I honestly thought that was why I suffered all the side affects in the beginning was so my body would accept the drug. Wow...MS sucks...
                  This isn't just a Tecfidera issue but all drugs. Don't wait as long as I did people. If you feel something has changed, call your doctor, call the nurses...chances are it has and there is no reason for you to suffer like this....

Comment

I am sorry. It'd disappointing when you a drug fails after tolerating it well for some time. Tecfidera is a wonderful medication for many people, but I too had to drop it after 2+ years. I hope your next medication is as easy to take, provides better results with fewer side effects!

I wish you well ...

Comment

Thanks for posting

I appreciate you letting us know about this. I am waiting to start my first DMD - chose Plegridy to start, but like you said, it is possible with any medication. I can see myself taking the same stance you did. Just tough it out while your body adjusts.

Best wishes to you with your next med. Thanks, again, for the reminder.

Cheryl
                      Cranial VIth Nerve Palsy (2008, 2014); Partial Myelitis (9/2015); RRMS Dx (11/18/2015); Plegridy (2/2016)

Comment

just an update

So the doctor called and he wants to go with (drum roll please) Aubagio. Wow so many choices theses days. Best of luck to everyone and please keep an eye out on how your body responds. And please read the signs of allergies for your medication.....

Comment

Working...
                        X