Expiration and use by dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expiration and use by dates

I just noticed on a bottle of tecfidera two conflicting dates. One date is a "use by date" which is 6 months from the date the prescription was filled. The other date is the "expiration date" which is about a year from the date the prescription was filled. I'm confused. Why is the "expiration date" longer than the "use by date". Maybe Marco can shed some light on this subject.

Hi,

The expiration date is the date at which the manufacturer can still guarantee the full potency and safety of the drug. I am not sure about the use by date ...

phoebe

Comment

DO you have 6 months worth of drug? Maybe its there as a reminder that it all needs to be taken?

Comment

expiration date vs use by date

Not the case erinnn. I had to stop and restart Tecfidera earlier this year. I had some medication left from the first try at it. I take my medication everyday and have never missed a dose. Wasn't sure if the older medication was still okay to take. All settled at this point. Thanks for weighing in though.

Comment

I read somewhere recently that while Tec has a general expectation date in a sealed bottle, but a sooner experation once the bottle is open. Maybe that is the reason?

Comment

I always was told that there is a one year grace on the expiration date.
            Wonder if that is the case...

Comment

by law all perscriptions (ie Rx label from pharmacy) must expire after one year. This is to ensure safety & potency and also to prevent anyone from filling/refilling a perscription (eg. blood pressure or pain med) that they have left over in some cabinet 4 years later.

Expiration dates on drug company original packaging/bottles are the date that drug potency is assured, if stored under proprer conditions (ie not in your glove compartment). In other words- it wont be too little or too much of the active ingredients, won't spoil etc.
              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

I have Kaiser. I can only get a 30 day supply at a time. The bottle has an expiration date from sealed (about 2 years on my latest bottle). I was also told by the pharmacy, Tec website, and it's on the bottle that once opened it expires in 90 days. Not sure why it's 90 days. I've never heard of any other med that expires so fast.
                Symptoms: 2009
                Dx: August 2013
                Extavia: Aug 2013-Feb 2014, Tecfidera: June 27, 2014-Today
                RNY Gastric Bypass: 07/2007, 130#s lost and never found again

Comment

Working...
                X