Has anyone stopped Tec cold turkey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone stopped Tec cold turkey.

I have had these itchy white bug bite looking spots all over now for a week to the point of seeing my gp. He is certain that this along with the swollen red eye is a reaction to the Tecfidera. But when I consulted my neuro she just said it cant be the Tec and just go see a dermatologist.I am in agreement with my gp as adding the Tec to my drug regiment is the only thing different.I was so excited about a pill but I dont think this is the right one for me. But in there disagreement I am miserable with the itchies! And neither one will tell me how to wean off the Tec. So for any of you who have gotten off Tec. how did you do it? Just stopped or weaned slowly? Thank you All
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain! Diagnosed '99. And still learning about this disease!

stopping tecfidera

I had to stop tecfidera in May due to skin problems. I developed raised red bumps mostly on legs. Dermatologist did a biopsy and determined that it was a skin problem maybe from tecfidera. My neuro told me to stop(no weaning) and see what happened. Well all the bumps gradually faded away. I did restart beginning of July and so far so good. I really want to keep taking this medication because it is pretty tolerable overall. Is your reaction an allergic reaction BDOBBINS. Do you have hives? Maybe a dermatologist should look at it.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Once your doctor instructs you to stop Tecfidera, you just stop. There is no taper or weaning necessary.

Comment

Me. I got Shingles (which started with swelling around my eye along w/painful, itchy welts on my forehead/scalp). PCP treated with an anti-viral. I reported this news to my neuro who said to stop taking Tec immediately until I recovered. Now my question is how long does it take for Tec to clear out of your system. I can't tell if I am still losing hair or not.
        Tawanda

Comment

Here Tawanda

Elimination
          Exhalation of CO2 is the primary route of elimination, accounting for approximately 60% of the TECFIDERA dose. Renal and fecal elimination are minor routes of elimination, accounting for 16% and 1% of the dose respectively. Trace amounts of unchanged MMF were present in urine.

The terminal half-life of MMF is approximately 1 hour and no circulating MMF is present at 24 hours in the majority of individuals. Accumulation of MMF does not occur with multiple doses of TECFIDERA.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
            Trace amounts of unchanged MMF were present in urine.

The terminal half-life of MMF is approximately 1 hour and no circulating MMF is present at 24 hours in the majority of individuals. Accumulation of MMF does not occur with multiple doses of TECFIDERA.
            Thank you Marco,
            Just bobbed what was left of my hair! Can you help me to this "MMF" part?
            Tawanda

Comment

I STOPPED COLD 4 WEEKS AGO, NO ISSUES..

Comment

Tawanda

Once you take Tecfidera (DMF) it becomes metaboloized into
                MMF, which is monomethyl fumarate. MMF is absorbed by the small intestine and it enters the blood stream (human serum). The highest concentration of MMF in blood is roughly 4.5 to 6 hours after oral intake. This is normally the peak of flushing activities and can be delayed and reduced by ingesting foods (particularly fatty foods). The DMF half-life is a short 12 minutes and the half-life of MMF is 36 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                  Once you take Tecfidera (DMF) it becomes metaboloized into
                  MMF, which is monomethyl fumarate. MMF is absorbed by the small intestine and it enters the blood stream (human serum). The highest concentration of MMF in blood is roughly 4.5 to 6 hours after oral intake. This is normally the peak of flushing activities and can be delayed and reduced by ingesting foods (particularly fatty foods). The DMF half-life is a short 12 minutes and the half-life of MMF is 36 hours.
                  Bottom line? I guess after being off Tecfidera for 4 weeks, this stuff is out of my system. Looking forward to my hair growing back, but not looking forward to MS having its way with me! Maybe Tec was kicking MS's butt, but man oh man it was taking everything else down with it.

Thank you once again for the information, Marco. I salute you!!
                  Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                  X