I think I'm done with Tec...here's why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm done with Tec...here's why

I have really been toughing this drug out. I desperately wanted it to work because it was doing wonders for my yucky psoriasis.

This weekend I once again had a bout with unbearable random itching. I scratched myself bloody to the point where I had to wear a sweater in July over my tank dress. I only noticed the damage when I took one last look in the mirror right before leaving for a function. My claw marks would have freaked people out (and the fact that my dress was red just accentuated it!)!

Today I woke up with my left eye swollen shut and hives on my forehead and scalp...also on the left side of my body. The Tecfidera directions say if you get hives, STOP taking it.

When I first started my full dose of Tec., I got very sick to the point if seeing my primary (who I probably haven't seen in ten years) with a massive cold/allergy thing. I was coughing was all night! Then there was acid reflux, nausea, and misc. GI stuff. I learned that by eating like a pig, I could control many of these S/Es, and then came...the hair loss! I am leaving behind more hair than the 2 cats, the dog and my DD combined!

I have a doctor's appt. soon. I really should take a picture of my face and show it to my neuro. as "evidence" that I am not being a whiner (but I am much too vain-that one picture would get all over this computer and FB somehow!). I look like Rocky Balboa when he was sitting in the corner of the ring and told his manager to lance his swollen eye socket!

I am really bummed about this...I had high hopes for this drug from way back when we were calling it BG-12! Thanks for listening y'all!
    Tawanda

I'm sorry Tawanda. If you quickly improve after stopping Tecfidera that will be a further indication it was not the right drug for you. I know you don't want to, but I would take pictures. Sometimes that is the only way someone will listen if you have visual proof. What, if any, medication is next on your list?

Comment

I am so sorry you are allergic to Tec.

Comment

Tawanda,

I developed a severe allergic reaction to Tec about 7-8 weeks after starting it. Similar to what you are describing with the eye swollen; itching, but I also ballooned up all over - legs/feet were horribly swollen.

I, too, was very disappointed. Have waited so long for the magic B12, and now this....

So sorry it didn't work for you.

Comment

Sorry for the failure, the good news is there are a lot of options now. Let us know if you find a different pill that you can tolerate better.
          Good Luck.
          1995-symptoms with no cause
          2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
          2000/1-started Avonex
          2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
          Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
            I'm sorry Tawanda. If you quickly improve after stopping Tecfidera that will be a further indication it was not the right drug for you. I know you don't want to, but I would take pictures. Sometimes that is the only way someone will listen if you have visual proof. What, if any, medication is next on your list?
            Thanks Marco...back to Avonex I think. My psoriasis will no doubt return though!
            Tawanda

Comment

How are you doing?

Hi Tawanda, how are you doing? Did you decide to switch or did your side effects get better?
              Dx - Jan 2005
              1st Symptoms - Dec 2004
              Currently treatment - Tefidera (6/14) & LDN (4/09)
              Past treatments: Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Solumedrol IV, Prednisone

Comment

Originally posted by KateM View Post
                Hi Tawanda, how are you doing? Did you decide to switch or did your side effects get better?
                Per Doctor's orders, I have stopped Tec until Shingles goes away. After that, I might step it down. I have not missed those Tec side-effects, and all those other pills I have to take to combat the side-effects. I have been carrying Soda Crackers everywhere because I have no idea when that sick to my stomach feeling will kick in. Thank you so much for asking!
                Tawanda

Comment

Hello Tawanda,

I am sorry you had such a bad reaction with Tec. and I hope you will be able to continue after the shingles go away.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Sorry to hear that,good luck in the future.

Comment

(((Thank you fellow Tecfidera pioneers)))
                      Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                      X