Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tec and Shingles An' Root Canals, Oh Boy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tec and Shingles An' Root Canals, Oh Boy!

Soooo, long story short: this has been the worst 10 days since I can remember.

Started with a routine appointment to have a formerly root-canal molar capped with a permanent crown.

Dentist goes to place the crown, realizes the new crown has a flaw. He then puts the temporary crown back so the tooth is protected while a new crown is made.

I go about my business as usual, but next day am visited by hellish ache in my jaw. I take Motrin, but it gets worse and worse. Two days later in the evening I go a bit bonkers and DH takes me to Urgent Care. I get antibiotics, hydrocodone and a Toradol shot. 90 minutes of peace commence, little did I know what was in store.

I the spend the entire night dry heaving or puking, still in pain and no sleep. The next day my bladder starts getting squirrelly like it does when I am stressed and my leg goes gimpy in sympathy. Also, pain is now fierce--a broiling, stabbing agony for hours.

I go bonkers again, this time DH takes me to the ER. I get an IV for dehydration, oxycodone, anti nausea meds, and it still hurts around 6-7 on the scale.

I am sent home with more painkillers. Face and jaw continue to hurt like the devil, with brief respite when I drug myself insensate. I am now backed up from the pain pills so I start quaffing stewed prunes and PEG shakes...yum

Next day Dentist takes another look, tooth looks fine. I get referred to an endodontist. He peers at the tooth with a microscope, recommends it to come out but that there is little inflammation...however I probably have shingles due to the tiny blisters all over the gums/throat (I couldn't see until he showed me in a hand mirror)

So, I go to my PCP. He says I have shingles in my mouth and throat-and it has activated my formerly quiescent TN...hence the near constant heinous pain. I get antivirals, upped my neurontin to max dose, more pain pills, and lidocaine solution for gargling when it is unbearable.

So, I am off Tec until I clear the virus. They may keep me at 1/2 dose after that for awhile. Still, it has and is a miserable time... Of course I had been planning a nice vacation from work with DH but now I convalesce with ice and heat packs on my face, gimpy, trying to not pee while attempting #2. Gah!
    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Oh, Kate, I'm so sorry!! I can't believe you've gone through all this, and especially within 10 days!

I'm so sorry that you've been through the wringer, and very sad you had to spend your vacation this way!

Sending positive energy your way and hoping you'll recover soon....

Comment

Very sorry..

You have went thru this .
      I hope you are better quick .
      Your post really caught my attention as I am on Tec, have TN , and are scheduled for dental work in a week.
      2 cavities & take off a crown , fix a cavity(?) spot on that then fit with temp crown .
      This is all on the side that I have TN .
      The reason I need all done is because of the pain of TN , and avoiding the dentist.....

Hoping you are on the mend soon.
      Take care
      Tl-Tr3
      DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

Comment

Kate, having had shingles..my goes out to you with millions of to cheer you up!

Please stay on top of your treatment and regime for shingles; I fear the shingles can become internal. I knew a person that had the shingles go from the nose to the heart...be careful and alert for any signs of weakness or shortness of breath.

I managed to get it twice last summer; so be alert and stay on top of this! Sending you many and well wishes.

I managed to get the vaccine for shingles and wasn't in as much pain or otherwise discomfort; Which is why I support taking the vaccine, as soon as a doc will give it to you.

Good Luck and Karma going your way, fed

Comment

I must add this;
          I was on the anti-virals; phoned my doc and told him I had it, picked up the Rx and was right on it within the first 36 hours.

Just common thought told me that after 3 or 4 days of most medications we experience some relief. I did not and called my HMO, just to be safe. I, in fact was breaking out with a few new spots and felt, I shouldn't be.

Called the nurse and she said go to the ER. After I was ready I figured I'd better google why, since I wasn't familiar with this, at all. The google read, "If the anti-virals aren't working after 4 days, IV anti-virals are indicated."

Went to the ER and the doc stood across the room and said, "Yep, you got Shingles. Put your clothes back on, you're going home." I informed him of what I read, as I had my doubts, as well. He said he'd check up on that and get back with me, in 20 minutes.

About 20 minutes later, the nurse came back in to tell me I'd be admitted to the hospital for at least, 3 days of anti-viral meds, IV. The center for disease control was notified and gave them the protocol.

Be diligent and your own health advocate..that's all I gotta say; sorry, i almost forgot that part. And hope you heal soon; by no means take it lightly, please! fed

Comment

I was diagnosed with Shingles today by my PCP. Sent my pic go my neuro and told him. Neuro said Shingles has been linked to tecfidera and to stop taking it until I recover! I would not be thrilled about re-start this drug.
            Tawanda

Comment

Thank you for the kind well-wishes everyone! I am finally starting to feel sort of normal (well, MS normal) and the rash and blisters have healed for the most part. I am still on 4600 of gabapentin so I am super-derpy, but the TN is down to occasional stabs and 20% what they were. I am still taking antivirals, as I have giant lymph nodes in my throat; and tiiiired out, Whoo boy. I went back to work today and kept bumping into walls. Fortunately I got to hide at my desk and draw all day, so I didn't have to interact with anyone (phew!)

Comment

Originally posted by KateA2 View Post
                Thank you for the kind well-wishes everyone! I am finally starting to feel sort of normal (well, MS normal) and the rash and blisters have healed for the most part. I am still on 4600 of gabapentin so I am super-derpy, but the TN is down to occasional stabs and 20% what they were. I am still taking antivirals, as I have giant lymph nodes in my throat; and tiiiired out, Whoo boy. I went back to work today and kept bumping into walls. Fortunately I got to hide at my desk and draw all day, so I didn't have to interact with anyone (phew!)
                Seeing my PCP for my follow-up Shingles appt. tomorrow. Finishing my antivirals today. I guess I am getting better, considering how bad this thing felt at the onset, but still crummier than just basic M.S. I want to find out about the Shingle's vaccine as I hope to never get this again!

What do you guys think of Tecfidera now? Will it wind up on one those commercials about bad drugs that runs all day on daytime TV?

**Phone number removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines**
                Tawanda

Comment

I think Tecfidera is a good drug, but that for some people the immune system hit requires more careful monitoring. I don't have a single new lesion since starting it, and those I had were almost completely healed at my last MRI (I had a gigantic 4-level cord lesion that has shrunk by 2 levels). I don't feel better, but I certainly don't feel worse

I probably am in the 10% of patients who have moderate side-effects on this drug, but I'll still continue therapy as it seems to be working for me. I'd like to go back to full dose as soon as I am able.

Comment

KateA2,
                    you are very brave indeed. wow.....i don't know if I could continue with the Tec after what you have been through. I'm thinking I should call my GP and get the shingles vaccine for sure. I too have a scary TN story in my past, and am getting a root canal in the next month. I am only on day 8 of the Tec, and, so far, so good.....I am confused about whether or not the Tec is suppressing my immune system? How does that help an MS patient? And yet, your lesions are healing.....hmm.....thanks for posting your awful ordeal. Although I am now frightened, I am also informed, and that is a good thing!

Comment

Working...
                    X