Question about flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about flushing

Just wondering what the actual sensation of flushing is like.

I have heard it described as a sunburn. Is it more external (coloring of the skin) or is it like a hot flash where you sweat like a wild animal. (j/k)

For me, it's external (as close to a sunburn as it can be without being a sunburn). No hot flashes like with the Avonex or even Copaxone.

Comment

My flushing starts out as an intense feeling of itchy sunburn on the back of my neck and then I can watch the redness spread all over my neck an collarbone. Recently it also makes my upper arms and stomach turn slightly pink and tingly as well. I do not get an internal warmth feeling but I do get bad cold chills when it subsides.

I get an overheated, sweaty feeling separate from my flushing, though. It is never at the same time as the flushing, passes fairly quickly and is new since I started Tec.

Comment

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! I am overheated all of the time anyway. Someday I fully expect to spontaneously combust.

Comment

Had my first flush a couple hours after my first dose. Started on my scalp.

But yes, it was just as you described it. lol

Comment

HobbitHead

Just started Tecfidera last Thur. I was told by the nurse to take 325mg aspirin 30 min before Tecfidera. Eat a meal with some fat and after meal take 2-3 Tums and the Tecfidera. I drink lots of water as well. I always drink about 1/2 of my body weight in water anyway. Not sure which one of these things is helping but I haven't had any flushing yet. Time will tell.

Comment

I didn't experience any flushing until last week. About 3.5 months on the med.
              Definitely tolerable but definitely a surprise
              1995-symptoms with no cause
              2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
              2000/1-started Avonex
              2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
              Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Knock on wood, my flushing has actually subsided since I stopped taking the aspirin a few days ago.

For me, though, it never involves sweating. It starts as a burning sensation on the back of my head, and then the redness moves down my neck to my collarbone. It lasts for a few minutes, and then goes away, but there's no sweating or feeling of being warm. As far as I can tell, it's just a skin reaction.
                Brent
                Optic Neuritis - 7/31/06
                MS Dx - 9/13/06
                After a med break, started Tecfidera - 2/1/2014

Comment

I have had it 2 out of the first 3 days. The first time it was more intense than the second.

I haven't taken an aspirin yet, as I would like to see how it goes without. But if need be it is good to know that it helps.

I am just thankful that it doesn't involve any sweating!

Comment

Working...
                  X