Feeling better into week four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling better into week four

Well, I had a really rough week last week! The stomach cramps were so awful that my husband wanted to take me to the hospital last Thursday. I talked him out of it as the roads were awful and after 2 ibuprofen and 45 minutes the pain was tolerable again. Sunday was the first day that I was able to handle a full shift at work since the week before, so that was progress!

Now I am in week four and the symptoms are very hit and miss. I still get some fairly crazy flushing, but it's completely random. Doesn't happen every pill and shows up anywhere from an hour to eight after my last dose. In fact this morning I woke up and within ten minutes got one of the worst flushes ever from last nights dose! I still have stomach pain, but it's not as severe, and not every time either.

I still take each dose with a FULL meal (tried once without-BAD IDEA!). I do not premedicate with anything. The flushing is much too random, and while very uncomfortable, is not painful so I don't bother with the extra pills. The antacid wasn't helping at all with the stomach pain so I quit that, too. On the upside, I am hungry all the time and am hoping that I will put on some weight finally! So far, aside from the nightmare of last week, I am happy that I'm getting through it!

That is great news! Hope that you are over the worst of it and that it becomes a piece of cake for you.

Comment

Purpleivy, I am into the beginning of week 3, and I am having the stomach issues like you are describing. I am going to try the ibuprofen and hope for the best.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

After a few consecutive doses with problems I would probably premedicate just to give your body a breather. In your situation I would have probably tried Zantac for the GI issues. For the flushing you might try to premedicate with baby aspirin or aspirin just to give your body a chance to bounce back. Others find a bit more help from benadryl, but it's all trial and error to see how your body responds best.

Comment

purpleivy

It's my understanding that aspirin(full dose) 30 minutes before taking tecfidera helps. I was told by the nurse case manager from Acaria Health that ibuprofen does not work. In terms of the stomach cramps be careful to keep your bowels regular. When my system slowed down that is when the bloating and cramps started. Tecfidera is absorbed in the small intestine so if you are not moving your bowels this could cause problems.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

I am going to get some Zantac asap and hope that it works along with everything else I am doing.

Comment

Started taking the Zantac and it does seem to be helping with the stomach pains. Also started eating with each dose.

Still a twinge here and there, but I can deal with that.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X