Questions about Tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Tecfidera

I was on Betaseron for years, but slipped into SPMS and have since discontinued any DMD...so I have no bias toward any med.

Yesterday in the mail, I received a large envelope with a very high end brochure ( really more than a brochure, more like a booklet.) It was from Biogen and touting the reasons Tec was a superior med. So I read through it for information sake.

I get to the page about the $10 copay, and it raised all kinds of questions. If this med runs in the $50,000/yr range, why are they "giving" it away for $120/yr. Who's paying the rest of the cost? And unlike any other DMD program I'm familiar with, it's not needs based, which seems strange. Also Medicare and Medicaid MSers are not eligible for the copay...why is that? Seems like those on Medicaid, or Medicare, for that matter, would be the ones that should get the lower copay since Medicare is fixed income and Medicaid is low income. None of it makes sense to me, so if anyone knows how/why the $10 copay works, I'd love to know...pharmaceuticals don't give things away, somebody has to be footing the cost.

The only other "puzzlement" is how did Biogen get my name. In the past 10 years only MS literature in the mail has been from Beta (Bayer) and Narcoms.
    So I wonder who "sold" my info, the fact that I have MS and my address to Biogen. That definitely bothers me.

They are only covering the copay which is minimal, they are still getting the insurance money, that is why medicare and medicaid are probably exempt.

If you went to any MS seminars or signed up for a walk then you probably gave your info out at some point.
    1995-symptoms with no cause
    2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
    2000/1-started Avonex
    2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
    Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
      The only other "puzzlement" is how did Biogen get my name. In the past 10 years only MS literature in the mail has been from Beta (Bayer) and Narcoms. So I wonder who "sold" my info, the fact that I have MS and my address to Biogen. That definitely bothers me.
      I went to a neurologist that GAVE/SOLD my information to the drug companies he was paid to do seminars for. There was no opportunity to "opt-out" or notification that this was their practice.

Some non-profits may have "share" your information if you ever donated or signed up for their newsletters. It's amazing how cavalier some people are with other people's information.

Comment

Hey Marco,

Thanks for the info about the copay. I can't remember ever giving out my info to anything related to MS...except the Beta folks, the Narcoms folks, and it did dawned on me that I belong to Medic Alert, and they, of course know I have MS. Those are the only organization I've ever received mail from relating to MS, that is, of course, till I received the mailing from Biogen, so 'tis a puzzlement.

Comment

Working...
        X