Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevated Liver Enzymes??

Hi all,
    In November (about 5 months on Tec) my blood test results indicated that my liver enzymes were elevated. I learned that this is a known side effect and also read that no one yet has suffered liver failure from Tecfidera. I repeated the blood test and my levels were normal. Has anyone else had liver issues?

Elevated liver counts is very common with Tecfidera. I have not had an ALT reading higher than 51 but my levels are tested weekly. I also have my WBC count and absolute lymphocytes tested weekly. Both were slightly out of range after starting treatment but have returned to normal or the upper limit of normal. Most peoples' bodies seem to adjust and there has not been a case of severe liver injury or failure due to Tecfidera. Hope this puts your mind at ease. Eric

Comment

I thought Tec was supposed to put no load on the liver.
      This was one of the factors to moving to it.
      1995-symptoms with no cause
      2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
      2000/1-started Avonex
      2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
      Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Originally posted by nosrepmodnar View Post
        I thought Tec was supposed to put no load on the liver.
        This was one of the factors to moving to it.
        Nope - it is processed through the liver. I was told to expect some drop in liver function. When my doc did my baseline CBC, she also did liver function so there would be a baseline for that as well. Honestly, I'd rather have a drug that's hard on the liver than the kidneys.

Comment

I believe most of the dmds are hard on the liver.

I take dandelion root in capsule form to keep my liver numbers down. Started that when, under B, my numbers started climbing. With this herb I've kept my numbers where they should be.

I suggest researching this & consider adding it to your regimen. I get mine from Puritan's Pride & it is inexpensive. Yes, it's more pills to take but my liver is worth it!
          DX 10/2008
          Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
          Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
          Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Interesting....Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X