anyone having vision issues on Tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone having vision issues on Tecfidera

After about the 2nd day of the 240 mg pill, I'm having blurred vision. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Vision

Yes!
    I'm @ 5 months in and the blurry vision is a real thing. It comes and goes, and it is bothersome. It's clearly not enough to make me stop, though.

Some other things:
    "clogged" ears
    runny nose
    foggy thoughts
    fatigue

My GI issues have stopped, I think because I always eat with the dose.

Comment

I have the bothersome running nose after every pill too. No biggie. But the fatigue was too great to take it without mentioning to my doctor. I sent him a note and he simply wrote back ' you will need medication for the fatigue.' So now I'm wondering does he mean I need to get with my family dr. for that or what?! I'll wait to hear from his office or maybe my pharmacy will be calling with something?? I did stop the second pill (on my own - nausea was too much to handle even with Pepto and Zantac and food).
      I have had the foggy thoughts too. I thought maybe I was just doing too much.
      I guess we'll just hang in there!

Comment

It might be helpful to other people for you to report your blurred vision to the FDA as an adverse effect. It isn't listed in the prescribing information and it might be something that needs to be reported and watched as a side effect.

Comment

Interesting. I've had some blurred vision to the point of going to the doc and having VEP, OCT, complete exam, etc. done and there was not a bit of change detected. Of course, no blurred vision that day, but it was consistent for a couple of weeks beforehand.

I think I'll start keeping a log and see what comes of it. I'm not convinced it's the Tecfidera, but it's *something.*

(I have cataracts, a vacuole, premature vitreal detachment on both eyes so lots of floaters and disturbances, very thin retinas that are even thinner in the maculas, and optic nerves that look spectacularly bad--and I'm under 40--so knowing what part of my vision is changing and how is...tricky.)

Comment

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
            (I have cataracts, a vacuole, premature vitreal detachment on both eyes so lots of floaters and disturbances, very thin retinas that are even thinner in the maculas, and optic nerves that look spectacularly bad--and I'm under 40--so knowing what part of my vision is changing and how is...tricky.)
            I have all of those too and my neuro-ophthalmologist said that the main one that might cause changeable or intermittently blurry vision might be the demyelinated optic nerves experiencing Uhthoff's or a pseudo flare. Cataracts are relatively stable and vision changes from them only when lighting conditions change. Both are pretty predictable. He said that the decreased retinal nerve fiber layer thickness isn't known for causing changeable vision. So we know that if my vision changes it isn't because of any of those things.

And just think - you still have presbyopia to look forward to.

Comment

Right? I'm hoping to make it long enough to need some cute reading glasses.

My blurriness was in a very specific part of one eye's visual field, and wasn't Uhthoff's. Well, not in any classic sense, anyhow. It was unaffected by my temperature, and was constant for a couple of weeks. I can trigger temp related changes very easily, and they are dramatic and certainly not constant (although I thank you for the suggestion!). My money is on still some quirk of the optic nerve, though, but I can't prove it. Something similar happened last November and we never figured it out. C'est la vie.

Comment

Working...
              X