Tecficera and extreme tired, sleepy, fatigued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecficera and extreme tired, sleepy, fatigued

I started taking tecfidera about 5 weeks ago. I am on my second monthly bottle. When I started the dr warned me about the two most common side effects flushing and stomach issues. I went in mental prepared for those and after the first three weeks I haven't really noticed any more nausea or stomach pains. I still have the flushing, but I can deal with that.

What is killing me is the extreme fatigue I am feeling. It started a few days into starting the first TEC dose and has not really let up. I am not a napper and find myself not even able to keep my eyes open at points in the day. My body just feels so tired. I haven't had fatigue like this in years and felt way better 6 weeks ago before starting TEC.

take good care of myself by exercising and going to bed early and eating healthy. I get up at 5:30 every morning and go to the gym. I am a runner and training for a half marathon. I was running great and tampered down a bit before starting the pills, now I can hardly get the energy to run 4 miles. My dr said sleepiness, fatigue etc are not reported effects of TEC. I want to stay on TEC and hope, hope that the fatigue and tiredness gets better.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it get better? Are there any tips to help me? I read on one post that staying hydrated has helped flushing, Im going to try and concentrate on drinking more water, but would appreciate any suggestions.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I am also SOOO TIRED since starting TEC

I was on Tec for 4 weeks and just did not take it last nite or today I feel so much better, the fatigue is awful, worse then my usual tiredness, all I wanted to do is sleep and lay around. I really want to stay on Tec, but I feel so much better having missed 2 pills I am alive today! I don't know what to do. My Dr. says it will get better, meanwhile I have no life. I may just stop taking Tec, this fatigue is too much.

Comment

I have been experiencing the same thing, to the point where my neurologist gave me an rx for Amantadine. I took it only once, but I have increased my vitamin B and D intakes and this has seemed to help. I have to take so much other stuff I don't want to take the Amantadine unless I need to.

The last few days by increasing the vitamin levels, I have been able to stay awake through my morning coffee.

I'm on day two of the 240 dose, so fairly new.

Comment

Adding vitamins

tmarq23: Thanks for your information. I will try adding B and D and see what happens. I am the same way, I really don't want to add provigil or something else unless it is absolutely necessary.

I will tell you that the sleepiness part has been getting better, I haven't "had" to take a nap the past few days. I still feel very fatigued and weighed down, but less sleepy. I am hoping that since the sleepiness part calmed down, maybe this muscle fatigue and overall feeling will improve.

I am trying to drink more water and eat more protein today and see if that helps.

Comment

I'm glad to hear it has calmed down, all last week and Monday I was dosing off at work.

Comment

Working...
          X