Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone miss work when starting Tecfidera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone miss work when starting Tecfidera?

I'm curious, since I get to start Tecfidera soon, whether or not people generally take time off work when they start on this drug. Or do people just keep on trucking while taking it at first?

I'm still waiting on coverage, but I thought I'd find out some things in the meantime.

Originally posted by PositiveMS View Post
    I'm curious, since I get to start Tecfidera soon, whether or not people generally take time off work when they start on this drug.
    I started on a Thursday evening. I figured if I had any problems with the first dose, I wouldn't be at work; and then if it took a few doses for anything to show up, I wouldn't be at work (weekend). (it made sense to me at the time )

Flushing has happened a few times but went away after a while. The most severe flushing, with tingling / slightly "burning scalp" was when I did not take the dose with food -- and that was early on in my starting BG-12.

Nausea happened a couple times but nothing debilitating. Had some gingerale and all was good. I do try to drink a lot of water throughout the day. Taking the pill with a meal seems to be key also.

Others have used zantac or other antacids with their doses to ward-off upset stomach. Some add a baby aspirin (for the flushing, I believe)

I have been on it now for 7 weeks and haven't experienced ill side effects in a long time.

Good luck and hope your approval process, etc goes smoothly. Remember, Biogen has the $10 copay program.

Let us know how it goes,
    Bree

Comment

Thanks Bree! I will definitely be posting once I start.

Comment

I started my first dose on a Saturday because I didn't want to start it on a work day. I am a teacher and so I only worked for a week while taking it before I was out of summer vacation. I haven't had any side effects that I would have missed work over though. I would say just start taking it, and then call in if you feel you need to.

Good luck!

Comment

I started Tecfidera on a Saturday just in case of side effects and that I would switch to the 240mg on a Saturday. I was lucky that I had no side effects at all. After reading the posts I was concerned about missing work. Been on it for several weeks now no side effects but no change in my MS.
          "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

I started TEC during a month with 5 career credential tests that are considered very difficult (stomach cringing) and have 50% pass rate on 1st attempt. (I passed!)

Got through without probs. Tips for success: 1. Stay hydrated 2. eat bland, bland, bland food. 3. take Tec with meals ( I find 3/4 through meal is best). 4. Have pepto on hand. 5. Careful with nsaids (tylenol, etc) as they can increase GI issues. 6. If really critical - talk to doc about titrating to full dose.

good luck.

Comment

I started on a Saturday as well, and the switch to 240 also then fell on a Saturday. I managed a bunch of IT departments, so I was worried about impact to my job since I'm very busy - the side effects were so minimal I could have worked right through it anyway.

Overall experience has been better than Copaxone and wayyyyy better than Avonex. Pro - I don't have the flu symptoms every weekend anymore. Con - Now I can work on the weekends too

Comment

Working...
              X