Side Affects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Affects

2 weeks on tecfidera and the stomach pain is unbearable! Can someone please help?

If you're sure the stomach pain is from the tecfidera, some people have taken aspirin with / slightly before their doses and/or zantac to help with stomach upset.

Perhaps having more food in your stomach may help. Some have found eating smalls meals throughout the day and staying hydrated has helped.

Otherwise, I'd suggest talking to your doctor about possible solutions. He/She may suggest starting over with the 120mg maybe once a day for a while and gradually build up to 2x/day. If all goes well on that dose, stepping up to 240mg 1x/day, etc.

Hopefully this side effect will subside and you'll be able to continue with tecfidera.

Good luck, Bree

Comment

I had really bad stomach cramps too, so much so that I could not bear to take it. At times, I am not sure if it was gas. It was in the upper middle to left side of my stomach. I went to my nuero who decided that I should take it on a slower titration as the full dose was too hard on my stomach so quickly. I did abide by the dietary suggestions too and have continued that on my small dose. In addition, I am going to a gastro doctor while I am getting started again. My appt is Monday and I will share any recommendations that he gives me. I just feel like the expertise on tummy issues is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by whiskers View Post
        I had really bad stomach cramps too, so much so that I could not bear to take it. At times, I am not sure if it was gas. It was in the upper middle to left side of my stomach. I went to my nuero who decided that I should take it on a slower titration as the full dose was too hard on my stomach so quickly. I did abide by the dietary suggestions too and have continued that on my small dose. In addition, I am going to a gastro doctor while I am getting started again. My appt is Monday and I will share any recommendations that he gives me. I just feel like the expertise on tummy issues is needed.
        Wow you too? I've noticed recently that I've been having pretty severe cramping on the upper left side of my stomach. I just never put two and two together and related it to the Tec. It's worse when I move or take in a deep breath. I just figured I pulled a muscle or something. It's odd how it came on all of a sudden though.

I also have this odd burning sensation on the upper right side of my stomach too. Not sure if it has anything to do with the Tec. Just noticed a lot more stomach issues since starting the medication. It's not enough to make me want to stop the medication though. Just pretty bothersome especially when I'm at work. I do take it with food and Zantac with every dose.

Yes, please let us know what you find out. Good luck to you!

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
        ― Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
        X