Up-side of the Down-side of Tec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up-side of the Down-side of Tec

I've read some...not all of the posts about how ppl are doing on Tec. I must say that the one thing I haven't seen yet is weight loss... So I thought I would share my Up-side of the Down-side of all my stomach pain! (and other TMI oh I thought I could eat moments HAHA)

Went to my PCP today for a different reason and of course here comes the HORRIBLE scale! POOF I LOST 6lbs!!! I don't think I have lost weight since I was DX. hehe so maybe I should take this med as a form of weight loss? Just a thought... lol

I'm on week 3 of Tec and I must say that if this does go on and on that I won't be going on and on with it. I would rather get yelled at by my Neuro and looked down on. But what do I know...Just the patient here.

isamadjul
    (Allyson)
    DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

I"m sorry. You're not all that clear. Is weight loss a problem for you? Most people can afford to lose a good bit of weight. I don't want to see MSer's become emaciated or weakened from unexpected weight loss due to the side effects of their meds. Everyone should work towards a 'safe and healthy' weight. If the drugs are making you lose weight because of stomach or bowel problems, you need to discuss this with your medical team asap. Maybe you can use a smaller dose or some other variation. Good luck

Comment

JerryD

I ment it light hearted, sorry for the confusion. I thought I was clear in the fact that I said STOMACH PAIN and TMI thought I could eat moments...YES meaning bowel. Was talking about the side effect I seem to be having with TEC not so much the focus on whether I can stand to lose weight or not.

Could I stand to lose some weight...sure.(That was before I had MS) So do I want to lose it this way? NO! Reading others problems with TEC they are finding that small meals are helping a bit. Which is causing a small weight gain for them. Small meals just make me feel bad so I don't eat.

Where I normally dread the scale this time it said I lost weight. I would have been happy however its because I can't eat. So the weight loss is my UP-Side of the DOWN-Side.

I'll be giving this drug another couple wks and if it doesn't all sort its self out then I will be going off it. I take a active roll in my MS and speak to my Neuro about the things going. Don't worry I aware of the choices I make.

isamadjul
      (Allyson)
      DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

@Allyson

Have been reading about and tracking BG-12 for a couple years now.

Most people are comparing it to a probiotic. It regulates the inflammatory properties of the immune system and may be correcting our stomach, its bacteria and enzymes.

I have noticed as have many others that they don't feel hungary as much. I feel less hungary but also a little bloated in the gut.

I also feel like I have more energy, work out more, less stiffness and no more spaciness and depression since I came off of Rebif.

I don't miss Copaxone or Rebif and if I can get a year or 2 out of Tec. I will be happy. Then I may consider Tysabri even though I'm JC+ until the next best thing comes out unless my blood work says otherwise.
        I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

I wonder if my body works in reverse. I've been hungry all the time on tec. I think I've gained about 15lbs since starting. Trying to figure out how to stop it. I had bad GI symptoms on Tysabri, but not on Tec. Can't ever seem to figure my body out.
          Dx June 13, 2012- Tysabri July 2012-March 2013. Tecfidera April 2013-present.

Comment

Originally posted by durgastiger View Post
            Have been reading about and tracking BG-12 for a couple years now. ... Most people are comparing it to a probiotic.
            Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that most of the people who have written what you've read about Tecfidera are comparing it to a probiotic? Or do you mean that most people in are comparing it to a probiotic. The pharmaceutical and medical people don't think of it as a probiotic. And for people in general I think most people think of it as an MS medicine, not very many know how it works, and a lot of people don't even know what a probiotic is.

Comment

Scared I made a bad desicion

So what is a probiotic and where do you get it? What brand do you get? I have gained 5 lbs and hardly eat anything.

I was just starting my 4th week and stopped taking tecfedera Saturday morning was my last pill. My walk and balance were improved the first 2 1/2 weeks. I was so excited but I got to week 3 and the side effects started pain, heart burn, stomach burn and etc. now my walk is horrible. That's why I stopped. I will call my doctor tomorrow and see what she says. I almost regret doing tec. I'm scared that I am now having a flare.

Comment

For the record, I have taken probiotics for years (continue to take daily). This is not like a priobiotic at all in my experience. I eat well, exercise frequently and have been more effected from this medication that even from my own MS symptoms. I believe that things will settle with it and one day I will be just taking my medication and not thinking about it. However, please note that in no way do I compare it to a probiotic. I think it is a little misleading to say.

Durgester please provide resources or literature on where this is being compared as a probiotic?

Comment

Working...
                X