Heart rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heart rate

I finally broke down and called ActiveNurses at Tecfidera about my increased heart rate. I have had an increased heart rate with low blood pressure since starting Tecfidera. The nurse said that they have had calls about increased heart rates with the medication. This side effect did not come up with the study. She took my information and suggested that I see a cardiologist.

I just wanted to pass this info on to all of you. As we continue to take this medication, new side effects will be discovered. Thanks and have a great week!!

Katherine

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm supposed to start Tecfidera soon and already have low blood pressure and rapid heart rate, so this concerns me.

Comment

@KatW

What kind of heart rate are we talking about? Like @JenAM I'm supposed to start tecfidera soon. My resting heart rate is already around 100.
      MS dx's 2000
      Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

Hi, I'm happy to respond. My heart rate was going aver 100. I think it was compensating for my low blood pressure. I am symptomatic when my HR increases so I noticed. Also, I am on beta blockers for hypertension and migraines so my HR should not be going that high. I've changed my beta blocker to every other day to see if that helps (with the low blood pressure).

My doc said to stay on Tecfidera and see a cardiologist. I am very sensitive to anything that will increase my heart rate. Chocolate increases my heart rate for several hours. I'm not trying to scare anyone I just want this info out there.

Comment

update

My neurologist is decreasing my dose until I get an EKG and see a cardiologist.

Comment

Post an update when u see the cardiologist.
            MS dx's 2000
            Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

I've had the same - increase heart rate and low blood pressure. It's intermittent for sure, make sure you are drinking enough water and taking Tecfidera with a full-meal. I find it's MUCH worse with a light meal.

I was at the MD two days ago for a standard check-up, and my heart-rate was 108 resting and BP was 106/60. Is usually 120/80. I felt OK, a bit tired.

I am also on beta-blockers for migraine headaches AND to control fast heart-rate issue from 4 years ago (was 120 resting ALL the time, among other things).

MD didn't comment, I should send my neuro a note. Please let me know what yours says/keep us posted.
              RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Increased heart rate and high blood pressure

My husband has MS. He was just in the hospital after being on Tecfidera for 1-1/2 weeks. Did wonderful on the 120 mg twice a day but when he started the 240 mg twice a day, he became progressively weaker, with a higher blood pressure than normal and a rapid heart rate. Went to the ER. They had no idea what was going on. But another friend had the same weakness. So they took him off the Tecfidera. He was off a week and his neuro wanted him to start on just one of the 240 mg per day. He started yesterday. So far so good.

Comment

Working...
                X