Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused

So has everyone who has started on BG12, did your Dr tell you to get a blood test, before you start the pill, mine did not. The referral and script is in and Biogen is checking on my Insurance. From everything that I have read I need to make an appt with my PCP and get some blood work done before I start this pill, Right?
    Oliver

Yes. This question has come up before. Tecfidera can lower white blood cells and sometimes lower them so much that the person is at high risk for infections. The instructions say that a blood test should be done to find out the level of white blood cells before starting Tecfidera so the medicine isn't started if white blood cells are already too low.

You might have to stay on top of your own regular blood tests if your neuro isn't doing it.

Comment

@Oliver

If you haven't had blood work done I think you would want to have a baseline for your WBC, kidneys and liver. I also have a prescription for new blood work to get done in a week or 2 before I fill my next prescription which I am assuming will be a 3 month supply.

I'm also getting testosterone levels checked along with the other major things to be checked.

For the first time being diagnosed my allergies really kicked in here in Philly Pa. Really hit me hard today and took a lot of wind out of my sail.
      I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

I am on starter pack now and Dr. didnt order CBC before I began, however; I have my appt. with her next week and this is something I will definitely bring to her attention.

Comment

I would think that some baseline testing is the normal approach... My neuro had ordered 2 since the first of the year with the most recent back in mid March. He even had the results forwarded to my PCP to review. He is considering that my baseline.

When I saw him about 10 days ago he set me up for Tec, and said we will test my blood again at the end of August... I got a call from the specialty pharmacy the other day, and would presume I will be on Tec by the end of the month. The plan is to do regular testing. I can just go to my PCP and get them done locally and have them send him the results.

Comment

I think monitoring WBC is essential. My doc ordered blood test before rx and intends to monitor frequently. (They only had to draw 2 vials.)

Comment

I wonder if it may be standard with the blood testing that goes along with most DMDs. I was on Rebif and had blood tests every 3-6 months. On Tysabri I had it done every 3 months. I never had a test specifically for Tecfidera; my most recent blood test happened to be the week before it was approved. A CBC was part of the test.

Maybe your doctor didn't order one because s/he already had those results as part of your most recent test?

Comment

Prior testing is required

I'm pretty positive that there are a set of things which need to be done prior to starting any of the new pill forms of MS medication. And blood test are one of them.

Comment

Biogen requires

a CDC (I think that's what it is called) within 6 months of start if Rx. I just made the 6 month guideline. Which is good as w/o insurance blood work can be pricy.

Comment

Confused

Thank You ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES ON THE BLOOD WORK. I WILL CALL MY PCP AND MAKE THE APPOINTMENT. I RECIEVED A PKG , AN ENVELOPE FROM BIOGEN, WITH A GETTING STARTED BOOKLET IN IT LAST FRIDAY. NOTHING ABOUT WHEN THE PILLS ARE COMING OR ANYTHING. JUST TALKS ABOUT THE START UP PROGRAM, I AM HOPING THE NEXT PKG WILL BE THE PILLS!
                    Oliver

Comment

Working...
                    X