First Dose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Dose

Has anyone gotten their meds yet? I spoke with Bigen earlier today and my neuro put me on the Quick Start program, where they send you pills even before they figure out what your insurance covers.

The rep told me that I'm scheduled to get a delivery by Monday at the latest. I feel like a kid at Christmas! I'm excited both for the fact that Tecfidera is supposed to be such a game changer, and every time I went for a Ty infusion I was thinking about PML. Plus you never know how a med is going to impact certain symptoms. I'm hoping that it will help with some of my spasticity isssues.

Anyone else excited? Has anyone gotten their scrip filled?

Hi Msesq

I got a quick appointment for this Friday. Dr. sends prescription to my pharmacy and they are quick with shipping over-nite so I'm hoping maybe by early next week.
    I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

Tecfidera!!!!!!!!

I am soooo excited. No more Tysabri sticks after 89 treatments I am burned out. I see my neuro on the 17th and she WILL have her pen and prescription pad ready. When Tysabri came out some people improved, I wonder of Tecfidera will do that too? I also deal with leg stiffness and it is what screws up my life. Spasticity is my ONLY symptom besides fatigue.

Please let me know when you get it Msesq!! Can't wait for Santa to come down my chimney too!

Comment

I haven't gotten it yet. I submitted my paperwork April 4th. I was initially told I would hear something by the eighth. I didn't hear anything. I got a robo call yesterday from the specialty pharmacy, they told me a whole bunch of misinformation (long story about my primary v secondary insurance). Then today I get a call from Biogen, asking to confirm some of the information that I had already provided them 3 or 4 times. I'm a little frustrated to say the least. And still no news on when I'm getting Tecfidera.

Comment

pharmacy info

What pharmacy does Biogen use to send out the starter doses of Tecfidera? Is it Accredo?

Comment

I received mine from Axium Pharmacy in Florida.

Comment

got mine

Well, got mine today! Can't take it yet. Neuro wants me to get baseline MRI which I get tomorrow - so once he gives me go ahead..I have it ready to go. I'm been on beta most recently. Took my last injection 4/3/13...neuro thought I should be off beta 3 weeks before starting tec. I really want to try tec as I've been on injections of avonex for 5 yrs, rebif for 4, tysabri 6 months and beta for 3 or 4.....think I have needle fatigue! Looking forward to this. Hopefuly, it does the trick.

Comment

Took my first dose this morning

No stomach issues - so that's good. 40 minutes after I took my pill (the half dose that is prescribed for the first week) - I felt a quick wave of dizziness and had the flushing / hot side effects. But the dizziness passed immediately. My chest and arms were flushed, and my face felt hot like I had a fever, but didn't notice the redness in my face. It all passed after 1 hour, 15 minutes. More of a weird feeling than anything uncomfortable. Back to normal now. Definitely not a side effect that would cause me to go back to Copaxone because I couldn't deal with it... And hopefully even these little side effects will fade away after awhile. I took Copaxone for 3 1/2 years, and never really minded the injections, but had started to notice some dimpling in the injection sites, so it was probably time to try something new. If it's more effective - that's the most important thing of all. Was JCV+, so no chance of Tysabri for me. Good luck everyone. I'll keep you posted if anything changes for me!

Comment

Thanks for the updates...definitely keep them coming!! My scrip is not supposed to get here until Tuesday...originally I was planning to start yesterday but I didn't get my medication as planned (Biogen messed up my insurance info and then dragged their feet on getting me into the quickstart program).

I wanted to start on the weekend just in case, but my neuro wants me to start taking it as soon as I get it since this was supposed to be my Ty infusion week. She won't renew my Tysabri presription for another infusion, so I'm kinda being forced into starting mid week. I'm scared of some of the side effects affecting me during the day at work. I know that they are not that bad, but I'm REALLY worried about GI issues.

Any updates would be great (and yes I know everyone reacts to things differently I would just like to see what other Tecfidera users are dealing with).

Comment

I've been on Tecfidera since Monday. First MS treatment I've been on besides steroids. I too was freaking out worrying about the side effects since I'm such a wuss lol. I tried looking everywhere for other people's inputs but I seemed to be one the first ones to receive the pills. I had them since the 11th of this month but kept putting it off. I pulled myself together after crying seeing the poor man that had his legs blown off at the Boston Marathon. Leg issues have been my major MS problem and it affected me tremendously seeing him that way. I didn't pray for myself that night...I prayed for him and then took the first dose.

I did take an aspirin 30 minutes before and then took the pill with a light meal. I could've sworn I was feeling warm and queasy but it was just my nerves. I'm sooo sooo happy and thankful that I have not experienced any side effects and am praying that when I double the dosage on Monday I won't have any either.

I should add that I didn't want to take 2 aspirins a day so I cut one 350mg in half and take half with each dose. Good luck and let us know how your first dose goes!

Comment

Thanks M. Joey! I appreciate you sharing with "us" . I am waiting for approval from my insurance..maybe next week. I am nervous but am also so happy not to be giving myself shots..call me a wuss too

I find myself checking this website multiple times a day, hoping to read posts, searching for information. I am guilty of coming to my MS site when I am either in crises mode or am changing drugs...searching for info or reassurance. I hope all of "us" will continue to post our journey so that we might help each other..sharing our experience, strenght, and hope! God bless!!
                      Sunshine
                      RRMS 3/05 - Rebif 4/05 - Tysabri 10/07 - Copaxson 6/12 - Tecfidera 5/13

Comment

Thanks everyone for keeping us informed.

Pinky Jo-- Did you have a wash out period with TY?
                        God Bless Us All

Comment

First dose today

Took my first dose today and maybe two to three hours after taking, I got the flushing side effect (face red, arms itchy) but, so far, that is all. I can deal with the flushing...it is much better than injecting! Hoping this will be the extent of my side effects but it is too soon to tell at this point

Comment

Thanks CarolK! Hopefully it will ease off over time. I went through a period where my Copaxson sites would itch like crazy. That got better over time. I am still waiting for approval from my insuance..hopefuuly this week
                            Sunshine
                            RRMS 3/05 - Rebif 4/05 - Tysabri 10/07 - Copaxson 6/12 - Tecfidera 5/13

Comment

Thanx to all fellow 'TECFIDERANS'. I got my starter pack last week but doc wanted MRI to get baseline before I took my first dose.....they called today, all is stable, gave me go ahead soooooooo ------- I took my first pill at 7:20 pm!!!!!!!!! It is like a Christmas present...I've been taking injectables for 13 yrs -------- needle fatigue extraordinaire.....
                              ..almost 2 hrs and no side effects yet. Ate some yogurt before taking. Probably will take some aspirin. This is new chapter!!

Comment

Working...
                              X