Going from Avonex to Rebif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from Avonex to Rebif

I was diagnosed in October and started Avonex in November for almost three months. Then a change of insurance, which denied Avonex but approved Rebif. So today I started the Rebif titration after being off medication for two months.

Because I used the Avonex pen, it made sense to use the Rebif Rebidose pen. I've had only one shot (today), but oh my goodness! The medicine going in hurt/burned like crazy! I couldn't hold it the entire 10 seconds. The initial injection wasn't painful, just the meds going in.

I have a full months' supply of pens, but if it hurts this badly each time, I think I'll ask for the syringe. Maybe the pain would be easier if I can control how quickly the meds actually are injected.

Anyone else with the same experience? Your suggestion? I'm very nervous about having to do this three times a week! I know, I sound like a big baby, but I'm usually not!

Hello! Sorry you are having trouble with Rebif. I have been using it for almost a year now, and here's what I have learned about the drug thus far:

-Make an extra effort to drink water on shot days. Staying well-hydrated takes away some of the sting for me.

-Take two Advil one hour before your injection. Tylenol doesn't work for me.

-Inject into FAT - this is key! If you hit muscle, you're going to feel a pinch from the drug. If you are lean, plan your injection areas around your biggest fatty areas.

-I have not tried this myself, but you might try applying a small ice pack to the injection area to numb the nerves a bit.

Like I mentioned, I have been injecting for almost a year now, and the majority of injections have involved minimal to no pain. I've had maybe 3 to 5 that hurt like the dickens, but I just breathe deeply and tell myself that it is over in 10 seconds.

Rebif is working great for me - I hope you have the same success

Comment

Thank you so much - your experience sounds much better than mine today, so that gives me hope for Monday. I will try your suggestions, too.

Comment

I gave the shot in my hip on Monday, the arm on Wednesday. No burning, which was a big relief! I think making sure it's in the fat makes a big difference. I'm hopeful this continues after I reach the full dose.

Comment

Working...
        X