Anyone change from Copaxone to Rebif?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone change from Copaxone to Rebif?

I've actually been thinking of going back on medication. I went off the Copaxone due to the IPIR and a few other issues.

My next choice would be Rebif. Has anyone changed from Copaxone to Rebif?

Hi Gracie: I went from Copaxone to Rebif. I now am on Tysabri, but my transition from Copaxone to Rebif was no problem. I had really no side effects on Copaxone except for the normal injection site reactions. I was starting to get more and more of the IPIRs before I was taken off, but was taken off because it wasn't working for me. Rebif didn't give me many injection site reactions, no lumps and bumps. I really didn't have many flu-like symptoms other than nausea. I did pre-medicate before every shot. I didn't mind it, but it unfortunately caused all of my blood counts to drop very low and I had to be taken off of it. A very rare complication of Rebif.

As far as efficacy in treating your disease, you will be making a lateral move, a 30% efficacy for preventing new lesions and new relapses. So essentially no difference. If you choose Tec, Gilenya, or Aubagio it will be a step up in efficacy to 50% for preventing new lesions and relapses.

If Copaxone worked for you, hopefully Rebif will too. No harm in trying it. You know how to give the injections. For the most part they are the same: Autoinjector or manual. The biggest difference is that there is SO much less pain in injection! You can also massage the area the same day.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you with the change in meds!

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Hi. I just changed from Copaxone to Rebif about 1 month ago. It was an easy transition for me. The injection technique is the same. I take 2 tylenol about 1 hour prior to injection and inject at bedtime. I take tylenol again when I wake-up.

I have noticed some low grade temps and aches when I wake-up which is why I take another tylenol in the morning. I am a little more tired the morning after the injection. The side effects are very tolerable compared to the symptoms I have from the MS.

I just started the medication so I am still titrating my dose and am told that the side effects should lessen with time. Copaxone was not working so I am hoping for better success with the Rebif.

Comment

About to make the change

I have been taking Copaxone for 13 years and now am being switched to Rebif because of increased episodes, (although what I would consider minor) and now I am in the middle of a bad one that doesn't seem to be getting any better.(almost 4 months) I was told that 'Rebif doesn't help symptoms' so my question is 'why switch now then?' Anybody have any experience to share with me?

Comment

Working...
        X