Rebif and irregular menstrual cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif and irregular menstrual cycle

I was diagnosed with RRMS 3/2013 and started Rebif in May. My menstrual cycle was regular until going on the Rebif. My last period was nine days late, and I am now 13 days past due for this one.

I have not been under stress, lost/gained weight, gone on any other new medications, am not pregnant, any of that. I cannot think of any other causes.

Have any other women here had issues with irregular periods after starting Rebif?
    Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
    Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
    Gilenya since 11/2014.
    Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
    EDSS 3.

I just started Rebif and am in Perimenopause now, so I don't know. But when I was on Avonex, which is the same thing, my period got all sorts of screwed up. My GYN at the time attributed it to interferon and said not to worry about it.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm on Beta, but I'm having the same issue. It is disconcerting. I was 21+ days late last month

Asked doc about it but she said it is "uncommon". Asked here & was told "more common than you doc knows".

The paperwork that comes with my dmd has this listed as a possible side effect. Sounds like it may be part of all interferons?
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Oh my gosh! I thought something crazy was going on with me, never would have thought it was from my Rebif.
        My periods have always been wonky, it's runs in the family.
        I started Rebif in May and started having heavier than usual periods, which I didn't think mine could get any heavier
        Then it got worse and I haven't quit bleeding at all for almost 2 months now :/

Comment

I've asked this question in other forums & gotten little response. But I really think it has affected my cycle. I started Rebif 2/8, started my period on 2/14 even though I would've sworn I wasn't due for a week. I was always a lousy tracker, so I can't be sure. But I started tracking right then, and I had 2 21-day cycles, followed by a 40-ish day cycle (can't remember exactly & don't feel like retrieving my phone with the tracking app from the other room LOL) I've now leveled out at around a 24-day cycle, which is short for my previous norm. Rebif is the only thing I can figure caused the initial irregularity & now seemingly permanent chance in cycle length since the usual array of possible causes has been ruled out.
          RRMS 1/16/13
          Ocrevus 2/19/18

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffany502 View Post
            Oh my gosh! I thought something crazy was going on with me, never would have thought it was from my Rebif.
            My periods have always been wonky, it's runs in the family.
            I started Rebif in May and started having heavier than usual periods, which I didn't think mine could get any heavier
            Then it got worse and I haven't quit bleeding at all for almost 2 months now :/
            I would recommend contacting your pcp for a lengthy period.

Comment

Working...
            X