Announcement

Collapse

WELCOME TO OUR NEW HOME!

Hello MSWorld Members,

Welcome to our new home! We hope you love it as much as we do!

we promise.

to offer current and relevant information.

to grow a community built on positive and affirming support.

to showcase member creativity.

to provide safe chat rooms.

to provide well moderated forums.

we believe that what we give as a community comes back to us.

welcome to MSWorld on this journey through a different lens. together. we are msworld.
we are. community.

We appreciate your understanding as we finalize our new home. Our arcade is still currently under construction and won’t be available for a while. Thank you for your patience while we prepare a new and improved arcade for you.

enjoy our new home.

support reimagined.
See more
See less

Plegridy vs giving up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plegridy vs giving up

Because of my individual circumstances I am left to choose from going on Plegridy vs staying on nothing for my MS. (I stopped Copaxone in August).

Please share any feedback you may have. I would very much appreciate any and all. Thank you in advance
    Peace to all,
    LM
    RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Hi Fishytrout,

I'm on Plegridy after Copaxone (years ago). It is much, much more convenient. I was having issues with traveling with Copaxone and the daily shots. Plus, I just did not feel good on Copaxone.

I've been on Plegridy for years. I do have about a 1/2 day of down time after I take a shot. I try not to work on these days and manage my schedule around the shots. I take Tylenol or Aleve on the night of the shot and the next day. With my doctor's permission, I take Plegridy every 3 weeks instead of every 2. This is to manage some of the side effects and it has helped. Most importantly, my lesions seem to have improved on Plegridy and I feel better overall.

Good luck with your search for a new med. I hope this info helps!

Comment

KatW,
      Thank you for your reply. I am very worried about the PML (I no longer live close to a decent hospital) and Cardiomyopathy (I do not want to need a heart transplant). The issue with Depression and Suicidal Thoughts being a side effect worry me. I have clinical depression and, though I am not suicidal, I worry about that creeping into my head ESPECIALLY now that I am dealing with some issues with some Nerve Compression issues in my leg. I have thought about how much of an "ahhhh no pain anymore" that I could have (again I am NOT suicidal).
      Peace to all,
      LM
      RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Fishytrout,

I want to add more comments for this med. I'm not worried about PML because my blood work has been pretty stable. On other meds, my blood work bottomed out. I do have underlying cardiac issues. I have slight edema and increased heart rate with Plegridy a few days after injection. I haven't had any depression issues that I have noticed although depression is a common side effect.

One suggestion is that you can try the start dose for a longer time to make sure you tolerate the Plegridy. I don't think they give out any options besides the standard dosages. My neurologist said that they use the same dose for everyone and sometimes it is just too much.

Comment

I was on Copaxone for about 9 years and had to switch to Rebif. Once Plegridy was available I switched to that.

i can tell you that I do feel much better on the Plegridy than I did on Copaxone or Rebif. With Copaxon I was getting injection fatigue and a lot of site reactions. The Plegridy is nice injecting every 14 days!

I was also worried about the side effects. I have a strong family history of severe depression and even suicide. So that was a big concern of mine. I do not suffer any depression or cardiac issues. I do get a migraine for a day or two after injection. We treat that with prescription strength Aleve and making sure I am every well hydrated. And this seems to work.

Sometimes my lab work shows that my white count is a little low, but nothing significant.
          Wendy

Comment

Working...
          X