Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can N-acetylglucosamine can restore neurological function in MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can N-acetylglucosamine can restore neurological function in MS?

New trial suggests that N-acetylglucosamine restores neurological function in multiple sclerosis patients

UCI researchers have found that a simple sugar, N-acetylglucosamine, reduces multiple inflammation and neurodegeneration markers in people who suffer from multiple sclerosis (MS). In addition, they also found this dietary supplement improved neurological function in 30% of patients.

The study, N-acetylglucosamine inhibits inflammation and neurodegeneration markers in multiple sclerosis: a mechanistic trial, was published in the Journal of Neuroinflammation. Michael Demetriou, MD, Ph.D., Chief of the Division of Multiple Sclerosis and Neuroimmunology at UCI, is the lead investigator of the study. Michael Y. Sy, MD, Ph.D., Director of the Neuroimmunology Fellowship at UCI School of Medicine, is the first author, and Barbara Newton, MD, Project Scientist at UCI, is the second author.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-...-multiple.html

Thanks Marco!

This supplement is on the market and currently used to treat conditions such as osteoarthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis.

I may give this a try!
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Thanks Marco!

This supplement is on the market and currently used to treat conditions such as osteoarthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis.

I may give this a try!
      The below information is behind a paywall at biomedcentral.com.

N-Acetylglucosamine was obtained from Wellesley Therapeutics in Toronto. G1cNAc was provided as a powder in sachets that were pre-measured at 2g. Two dosage levels were utilized sequentially: 12 g three times daily (6 g total) and 4 g three times daily (12 g total). The two groups were given 2-g sachets and told to take either 1 sachet or 2 sachets three times daily, respectively, for a total of 4 weeks, The contents of the sachets were added to 6 ounces of water followed by stirring. The powder is high soluble in water and quickly dissolves.​

Comment

I saw this same article, Marco and thank you! You beat me in posting this. It's on my grocery list for when I go to town to shop. Even though it improves function for 30% of people, it's worth trying.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

The below information is behind a paywall at biomedcentral.com.

N-Acetylglucosamine was obtained from Wellesley Therapeutics in Toronto. G1cNAc was provided as a powder in sachets that were pre-measured at 2g. Two dosage levels were utilized sequentially: 12 g three times daily (6 g total) and 4 g three times daily (12 g total). The two groups were given 2-g sachets and told to take either 1 sachet or 2 sachets three times daily, respectively, for a total of 4 weeks, The contents of the sachets were added to 6 ounces of water followed by stirring. The powder is high soluble in water and quickly dissolves.​
          That's good to know the dosage used. Thanks again Marco!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
          X