OCT Insurance Claim Denied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCT Insurance Claim Denied

Got a link through MSWorld to an NMSS article regarding the usefulness of OCT for tracking the progression of MS.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/About-the-Society/News/Four-Year-Study-Confirms-That-Imaging-the-Eye-with?feed=AllNationalNews

My ophthalmologist was already checking me with this tool, but my insurance always denies the claim because they regard it as experimental. It isn't very expensive ($53), but that actually makes the denial annoy me all the more .

I read the paper published by the research group honored by the NMSS and thought it would be worth appealing the insurance co decision. I read through the insurance company guidelines for OCT usage, and the research tied to MS was quite old, so I was optimistic that I could bring this new research to their attention.

Well, of course, they stand by the original decision. The authors put a statement in their conclusion that put a nail in my appeal. They said that their research still needed to be independently verified. I missed that one statement in my original read. Oh well. Here's hoping that another team spends another 4 years to verify their result.
Working...
X