Possible MS Triggers Identified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible MS Triggers Identified

CHICAGO --- Multiple sclerosis (MS) may be triggered by the death of brain cells that make the insulation around nerve fibers, a surprising new view of the disease reported in a study from Northwestern Medicine and The University of Chicago. And a specially developed nanoparticle prevented MS even after the death of those brain cells, an experiment in the study showed.*

MS can be initiated when damage to the brain destroys the cells that make myelin, the scientists showed. Myelin is the insulating sheath around nerve fibers that enables nerve impulses to be transmitted. The death of these cells, oligodendrocytes, can activate the autoimmune response against myelin, which is the main feature of MS. Oligodendrocytes can possibly be destroyed by developmental abnormalities, viruses, bacterial toxins or environmental pollutants.*

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscent...ell-death.html

Thanks for sharing. I am grateful when researchers take a different approach, as one day, they will find a cause.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Northwestern has done a lot of research into MS! Their findings sound like it could be something wonderful! My fingers are crossed. Thank you for the update.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

So what are they saying causes brain cell death that leads to MS?
        10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
        later:ADEM/MS,
        5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

"Oligodendrocytes can possibly be destroyed by developmental abnormalities, viruses, bacterial toxins or environmental pollutants.*"
          this is the last couple of lines in Marcos original thread
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
          X