Genentech’s Ocrelizumab Performed well against Rebif®

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genentech’s Ocrelizumab Performed well against Rebif®

Genentech, a member of the Roche Group (SIX: RO, ROG; OTCQX: RHHBY), today announced positive results from two pivotal studies evaluating the investigational medicine ocrelizumab compared with interferon beta-1a (Rebif®), a standard-of-care therapy, in people with relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS), the most common form of the disease. The studies (called OPERA I and OPERA II) met their primary and major secondary endpoints.

Treatment with ocrelizumab significantly reduced the annualized relapse rate (ARR) over a two-year period compared with interferon beta-1a, the primary endpoint in both studies. Ocrelizumab also significantly reduced the progression of clinical disability compared with interferon beta-1a, as measured by the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS).

Additionally, treatment with ocrelizumab led to a significant reduction in the number of lesions in the brain (areas of disease activity) compared with interferon beta-1a, as measured by MRI.

Overall, the incidence of adverse events associated with ocrelizumab was similar to interferon beta-1a in both studies; the most common adverse events were mild-to-moderate infusion-related reactions. The incidence of serious adverse events associated with ocrelizumab, including serious infections, was also similar to interferon beta-1a.

“Ocrelizumab showed remarkable improvements over a standard-of-care medicine across clinical and imaging endpoints in two pivotal studies,” said Sandra Horning, M.D., chief medical officer and head of Global Product Development. “Ocrelizumab has the potential to make a meaningful difference for people with MS, a chronic and debilitating disease.

Based on these compelling results, we plan to submit the data for review to U.S. and EU regulatory authorities in the first quarter of 2016.”

As always, thanks for sharing news with us, Marco!

I had never heard of this medication, and just happened to stumble upon it earlier today while looking for information on something else. What jumped out at me is that there is also a phase III trial for this specifically for primary progressive MS:

http://www.neurology.org/content/84/...plement/P7.017

So there's something else to keep an eye on for us progressive MSers. Doesn't mean it's any more likely to work than anything else, but I have to believe that they must think there's a chance if they're spending money on the trial.
    PPMS
    Dx 07/13

Comment

This is a humanized form of Rituximab. Rituximab is near end of patent life which birthed Ocrelizumab with full patent protection.

Comment

Not sure I understand your reply, Marco. Are you saying that Ocrelizumab = Rituximab by another name, and if so, does that mean that neither of our posts are really news at all? I'm confuzzled...
        PPMS
        Dx 07/13

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bo View Post
          Are you saying that Ocrelizumab = Rituximab by another name
          Ocrelizumab and rituximab are similar drugs but they are made of different proteins.

Monoclonal antibodies are made via genetic engineering. Rituximab is made from a combination of mouse/hamster proteins and human proteins. Ocrelizumab is made from almost exclusively human proteins.

It would seem that human proteins would be safer, but that isn't necessarily the case. Humanized monoclonal antibodies have worked well in autoimmune conditions, but as a consequence they leave the door open to opportunistic infections.

Tysabri is a humanized antibody, and the risk for PML is well known.

Five clinical trials with ocrelizumab -- four for rheumatoid arthritis and one for lupus -- had to be halted because some subjects developed severe infections, and there were some deaths. Because ocrelizumab was considered too risky for the RA and SLE patients, Genentech discontinued further research in those areas.

However, because MS patients are aware of -- and apparently accepting of -- the risk of death from opportunistic infections because of Tysabri, Genentech decided to pursue ocrelizumab as a treatment for MS.

There apparently weren't any serious adverse effects in the MS trials, but there weren't any in the Tysabri trials, either. The problem with PML didn't become known until after it was already on the market. It will be interesting to see what will be involved in the risk management program if ocrelizumab is approved for MS considering that the incidence of serious infections is already known from the RA/SLE trials.

It will also be interesting to see what comes out of the trial for PPMS. Overall, Rituxan was not effective in PPMS testing. There did appear to be a small, short-term benefit for a small subset of males in the very earliest stage of PPMS who had notable inflammatory activity. But it's important to note that it was the inflammatory component that responded and not the degenerative component that makes up most of PPMS. And that's why Rituxan, like all other drugs tested so far, wasn't effective overall in PPMS.

Based on the performance of Rituxan, it appears questionable whether ocrelizumab would be effective overall, either. The other question is whether a similar, limited outcome with ocrelizumab in a small subset of patients will be enough for the manufacturer to submit for, and gain, FDA approval for PPMS. If not, it could be used off label. But, correspondingly, there doesn't seem to be any activity with Rituxan being used off label in the same population. So we'll have to wait to see how it plays out for PPMS.

Comment

Thanks, jr! That was a very good explanation. Your discussion of inflammatory vs degenerative, terms I have heard many times before, prompts another question from me--how do you know which is which, in terms of symptoms? It's never been clear to me, except for the first being more associated with relapsing/remitting, and the second with progressive.
            PPMS
            Dx 07/13

Comment

News?

Hey, has anyone seen this?

http://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.co...ve-ms-therapy/

I haven't seen it posted anywhere else here. Looks like they're going to announce results of the Phase III trial on October 10, and are already saying it's good news.
              PPMS
              Dx 07/13

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bo View Post
                Hey, has anyone seen this?

http://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.co...ve-ms-therapy/

I haven't seen it posted anywhere else here. Looks like they're going to announce results of the Phase III trial on October 10, and are already saying it's good news.
                J-Bo - Marco started a new thread about this just yesterday - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...-2017-approval

Good news, I'd say!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I just posted a query about the lack of comments about this 'historic news' ! I am excited about the possibility that this drug will produce positive results on the PPMS population.

Comment

Working...
                  X