Meditation Re-myelination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meditation Re-myelination?

I read an article recentl in the Washington Post about a study teaching subjects to meditate and observe the results in MRIs of the subjects' brains. There were marked changes in the MRIs of the control group. The subjects were taught this to reduce anxiety. The test's author was a Harvard scientist.

It got me to thinking about my faith as a Buddhist as I lie here virtually bedridden with a 20" high Buddha statue ten or so feet away from me and I was thinking I should treat my new normal being in my finished studio garage as a Buddhist retreat and see what I can achieve via this proven method to change your brain as demonstrated by a Harvard neuroscienctist.

Just wondering if anyone else had thought of this or had a similar thought? I have all these Buddhist tapes I can use for meditation aides.

Just wondering. Sorry I've been out of touch for awhile. It's been a trying time.
    ---------------
    "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

I went to a workshop on MS and the program ended with some chair yoga and then closing our eyes and doing meditation. Presentor suggested we do that everyday just to be in touch with our bodies.

Not a bad idea.
    toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
    Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

I agree with the whole premise. The teaching hospitals are beginning to accept that there is something to the 'mind-body' connection concept. My PT was born and educated in Bombay and believes that MS can be positively affected by regularly meditating. It's worth a try ! It doesn't cost much money !

Comment

Glad to see you post again Rockysmom!

I also think its a great idea. There are more and more studies that are looking into the mind-body connection. Meditation, Mindfulness, Optimism are big topics.

Agree with Jerry - free/low cost, can't do any harm. Even if physically it doesn't heal, if it puts the brain at ease, it's a win! I fully believe the brain needs some quiet time to perform as efficient as it can.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi RockysMom - good to hear from you! For the benefit of other readers here I found an older article from the Washington Post about meditation - I don't know if this is the same one you read, but it's interesting as well http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021405973.html

They state - "... mindfulness-based stress reduction - a type of meditation that, besides focusing your attention, includes guided relaxation exercises and easy stretching - and practiced for about 30 minutes a day. After eight weeks, MRI scans showed significant gray matter density growth in areas of the brain involved in learning and memory, empathy and compassion, sense of self and emotional regulation, when compared with a control group. In addition, the researchers referred to an earlier study that found a decrease in gray matter in the amygdala, a region of the brain that affects fear and stress, which correlated with a change in self-reported stress levels."

I meditate as well, not daily- but often, when I'm feeling blue and loneliness creeps in or when I'm stressed out. I als listen to relaxation tapes.

Good for you for taking a proactive approach for your overall health of your body and mind
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Article link

Here's a link to the article -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/i...es-your-brain/

My neuro said I have secondary progressive and there are no approved drugs for it and there's nothing more that they can do for me besides physical therapy. She said I'll never walk again. She put me on Ampyra and it does keep me from being so tired all the time.

So I guess meditation is worth a shot. Any thoughts on what she said? Thank you.
            ---------------
            "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Comment

I do restorative yoga a few times a week for 90 minutes. 10 minutes of which are spent meditating (lying down in "corpse pose", I get vertigo if I meditate sitting!) I imagine myself growing into the earth, bones and everything melting away.

Then, I picture an endless green and flowering field with areas of burned, bare earth (my ms lesions). I picture the grass flowing in and gradually covering the bare patches until all is lush, and whole again. It is so peaceful, relaxing, and empowering. I am a lifelong atheist, but the mind is a powerful persuader and it does make me feel better.
              RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Ampyra did work a little for me.

Good morning, I am also on Ampyra, it worked at first and I even stopped using my wheelchair for a bit. But I am slowly going back to the same state that I was and getting back to using my wheelchair. I hope that it does something awesome for you. I have never been a believer in meditation but in reading these posts I will give it a try, it can't hurt.

Tyler -06/99

Avonex
                Copaxsone
                Tysabri
                Techfidera
                Gilenya

Originally posted by RockysMom View Post
                Here's a link to the article -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/i...es-your-brain/

My neuro said I have secondary progressive and there are no approved drugs for it and there's nothing more that they can do for me besides physical therapy. She said I'll never walk again. She put me on Ampyra and it does keep me from being so tired all the time.

So I guess meditation is worth a shot. Any thoughts on what she said? Thank you.
                - Tyler, DX- 06.1999

Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri, Techfidera, Gilenya

Comment

Working...
                X