New tool measures MS myelin damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tool measures MS myelin damage

Researchers have made an exciting breakthrough – developing a first-of-its-kind imaging tool to examine myelin damage in multiple sclerosis (MS). The tool will help physicians diagnose patients earlier, monitor the disease’s progression, and evaluate therapy efficacy.

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine scientists have developed a novel molecular probe detectable by positron emission tomography (PET) imaging. The new molecular marker, MeDAS, offers the first non-invasive visualization of myelin integrity of the entire spinal cord at the same time, as published today in an article in the Annals of Neurology.

http://casemed.case.edu/newscenter/n...fm?news_id=174

“This discovery has open the door to develop new drugs that can truly restore nerve function, not just modify the symptoms,” said Robert Miller, PhD, co-author on the study, vice president for research for Case Western Reserve and the Allen C. Holmes Professor of Neurological Diseases at the School of Medicine. “A cure for MS requires both repairing myelin and a tool to measure the mechanism.”

that is so interresting! and Case Western Reserve is only two hours away! Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thank you for sharing!. Sounds like it will be more helpful than follow-up MRIs.
      Tawanda

Comment

I'm pretty excited to hear about what sounds like a real MS breakthrough, advancement in imaging technology.

Marco, thanks for the link.

Comment

Is the test available? Or just for research?

Comment

I'm close to Case too! What a cool thing!

I wonder if this requires a tracer?

Comment

Working...
            X