Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there no medical marijuana trials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is there no medical marijuana trials?

Just because BIG PHARMA and the US Government do not want it legal for us to use does not mean it should not be discussed here...it should be used to aliviate our spacisity etc.
    Many States have approved MM for us..but there is still the threat of prosecution to those that use it from the Feds.

So if you have had it and tryed it..you would no doubt use it... it works better than any man made chemicals...
    its not the evil weed anymore
    MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

My wife reminds me of the time I asked this same question at an MS dinner/speaker event. The MS nurse and doctor were discussing the 'drug' options to a group of MSers, and I asked about the progress in using MMJ or sativex ( or any other derivative ). We, literally, heard some 'catcalls' from some in the audience. Rough crowd.

Comment

The message from a MS patientslikeme friend

I cant wait for it to be legalized.
      I find that it is the ONLY medicine for my pain and spasms
      and right after my monthly Tysabri infusions. Plus, I am having difficulty maintaining
      my weight... and there is nothing better for that (munchies!). Not only does it help with my eating, but I would rather be puffing, than taking the medications with all their side effects. I seem to be rather sensitive to most meds I take. Baclofen 20mg 2x a day,
      puts me into a coma! LOL!! Natural vs synthetic drugs... just dont understand why it's still being prohibitied.

Just think of all the tax dollars the govt can make. One way to get out of our nations debt. And, then we would have a nation of happy, smiling people! emoticon smile
      glad to see you are doing ok. This must be why you are handling your MS mentally!
      Stay well!
      MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

Actually, there has been several related studies. I will list a couple. There have been more but I have limited time to post about them.

They don't get talked about much, perhaps because of stigma or personal regressive attitudes. Nevertheless, these three studies are highly suggestive that cannabis has good effective in MS.

Cannabinoids and B cells: emerging targets for treating progressive multiple sclerosis
        http://msj.sagepub.com/content/17/3/259.full.pdf+html

Cannabinoids inhibit neurodegeneration in models of multiple sclerosis
        http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cont...6/10/2191.long

Cannabinoids May Have a Neuroprotective Effect in MS
        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...&dopt=Abstract

“Therefore, in addition to symptom management, cannabis may also slow the neurodegenerative processes that ultimately lead to chronic disability in multiple sclerosis and probably other diseases.”

Comment

I doubt that it will ever be approved on a NATIONAL level.

Comment

Marijuana user in Pennsylvania

Governor Corbett has 3 bills sitting on his desk an dmost likely he will not sign, but he wants to push through privatizing the sale of alcohol and the last Pa. Governor Rendell sold Pennsylvania residents out by allowing fracking and Corbett has done the same thing. I have been emailing all the democrats running for Governor in 2014 and most of them are not in favor of it.

Everyone not living in a MMJ legal state need to write to your Senator, Congressman/women and Governor stating that you and the people of your state demand access to marijuana for medicinal purposes.
            I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

I think you may be over estimating MS'rs interest in using MJ.

JMHO.

Comment

To be honest, I'd take crack cocaine bought down a back alley, if it worked.

And yet, Tysabri scares me to death. Go figure.

Comment

It was just signed into law by our Illinois governor thanks to the efforts of many including two friends of mine who used to be members of this website. Hopefully it will be available on a national basis before long.
                  Take care, Wiz
                  RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Two recently published studies, the first was done in Spain, and the second was done in Israel support the idea that cannabis may be a benefit to MSers by decreasing inflammation.

Cannabidiol provides long-lasting protection against the deleterious effects of inflammation in a viral model of multiple sclerosis: A role for A2A receptors.

Neurobiol Dis. 2013 Jul 11. pii: S0969-9961(13)00193-9. doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2013.06.016. [Epub ahead of print]
                    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Abstract

“Inflammation in the central nervous system (CNS) is a complex process that involves a multitude of molecules and effectors, and it requires the transmigration of blood leukocytes across the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and the activation of resident immune cells. Cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychotropic cannabinoid constituent of Cannabis sativa, has potent anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive properties… Together, our findings highlight the anti-inflammatory effects of CBD in this viral model of MS and demonstrate the significant therapeutic potential of this compound for the treatment of pathologies with an inflammatory component.”

Cannabinoids Decrease the Th17 Inflammatory Autoimmune Phenotype.
                    J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2013 Jul 28. [Epub ahead of print]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23892791

Abstract

“Cannabinoids, the Cannabis constituents, are known to possess anti-inflammatory properties but the mechanisms involved are not understood. Here we show that the main psychoactive cannabinoid, Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and the main nonpsychoactive cannabinoid, cannabidiol (CBD), markedly reduce the Th17 phenotype which is known to be increased in inflammatory autoimmune pathologies such as Multiple Sclerosis.”

Comment

Have heard it's quite expensive

where it has been approved for medical use. There are registration fees, multiple doctor visits and then a long waiting to actually get it dispensed to you. Heard the price is high as well.
                      Wonder what it costs in Colorado.

Comment

Sativex has no long-term negative effect on MS cognition

Sativex has no long-term negative effect on MS cognition
                        (05/08/13)
                        GW Pharmaceuticals plc announced top-line results from a 12 month placebo-controlled study of Sativex in patients with spasticity due to Multiple Sclerosis (MS). The study results confirm the reassuring safety profile of Sativex and provide further evidence of long-term efficacy.

The study was a 12 month multicentre, double-blind, randomised parallel group, placebo-controlled study in 121 patients with MS spasticity. The study was required as a post-approval commitment by the UK regulatory authority, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory agency (MHRA), with the primary objective of evaluating whether Sativex may have long term adverse effects on cognitive function or mood. The primary endpoint was the change in cognitive function as assessed by the total Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test (PASAT) score from baseline to end of treatment. Mood was assessed by the Beck Depression Inventory-II.

There was a slight improvement in the PASAT score from the beginning to the end of the study in both the Sativex and placebo groups, thus confirming that there is no evidence of long-term cognitive impairment in patients taking Sativex compared with those taking placebo. Similarly, the change in mood over the 12 month period was more or less identical in the Sativex and the placebo group, confirming no untoward effect on mood.

The key efficacy secondary endpoints were the global impression of change scores as assessed by the patient, physician and carer. Each of these endpoints was highly significantly in favour of Sativex (p<0.0001, p=0.001 and p=0.004 respectively).

Detailed data from this study is due to be presented at the 29th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS) on 2-5 October in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Dr Stephen Wright, GW's R&D Director, said, "We are pleased to report positive and wholly reassuring results from this 12 month placebo-controlled study in patients with MS spasticity. We have now shown that Sativex does not impair cognition either in short-term or in long-term use in well designed, randomised, placebo controlled clinical trials. These data not only confirm the good tolerability of Sativex in long-term use but also provide further evidence of efficacy consistent with that seen in previous shorter duration clinical trials."

Source: Market Watch Copyright © 2013 MarketWatch, Inc (05/08/13)

I also wonder what the cost of medical marijuana is.

Comment

I have been using marijuana since my diagnosis. I believe it has had a positive affect on my prognosis. I'm going on 23 years with this stupid disease, but I am still walking. Not far or fast, but still moving.

I find MJ relieves the spasticity greatly and gives me an overall feeling of calm. I like to use it and then stretch and meditate. It has allowed me to have a restful night sleep for many, many years.

It is not expensive at all, $40 worth lasts me two months. I'm glad I live in Colorado....hopefully the rest of the country will come around and stop demonizing this plant that obviously has medicinal purposes.
                          Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                          Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
                          Estriol 9/12-present
                          Still Hopeful.

Comment

I lived in a med state until 2 years ago and now in a state that will never go that route. I felt much better when prescribed marijuana. Sativa worked not indica, I think it is due to the large amounts of cbc's which is the true benefit not thc. The irony with indicas is that i had more muscle twitching/spasms.
                            First symptom 2000, dxed 2004

Rebif 04-06, Denial 06-07, Rebif 07--9, Copaxone 09-13, Tecfidera 13-?

Comment

MSMobilityman; Excellent thread and great topic!

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                              To be honest, I'd take crack cocaine bought down a back alley, if it worked.

And yet, Tysabri scares me to death. Go figure.
                              I haven't laughed so hard in years! LOL...I really needed that! Thank YOOU Thinkimjob. I am on that mission too!

Fortunately, I am in a mmj state.
                              And Myoak; Great links and information.

@durgastiger: Excellent advice; that is how we do get it legalized and what I am busy doing. And I go meet my representatives, visit their offices, get involved in their campaign-if they are pro mmj (my current representative is a pro MMJ M.D. and I feel proud to have been a part of the campaign, last year).

Even if YOU don't personally believe in mmj, please support the rights of those of us that do. I can't take too many 'pills' without worse side-effects and mmj does work.

Not just any mmj and I too, like you Don find more medicinal effects from sativa's; unlike most of the educated mmj fore-runners would tell you.

The Sativa's have more flavor (probably Terpenes, that are pleasant) and higher in CBD's, has been my observation of laboratory testing.

The really big reason there are few or hardly any studies [B][here in the United States is because our own Gov't has actually patented the components of Cannabis clearly stating it's neuroprotectant function./B]

I can't find the actual patent right now, I've read it and will find and post, when I find it.

Docs think if they prescribe or use it, they will lose their license. In legal MMJ states, they have not been, so far. Since legalization in CO, Washington and 21 states with legal mmj...tides are turning and those states have 'studies' going on now.

It is a doubled edged sword. State law 'prevails' with the current administration.

Anyone that is getting relief with mmj or wants to try it or simply supports those of us that have more functional lives, as a result of mmj, please support pro-mmj legislation?

The U.S. patent on it clearly states itz extreme medical benefits. That is what irks me.

And yes, it can be expensive. If it you live in a legal mmj state, the systems are designed to get a 'caregiver.' Often caregivers give large discounts to those that cannot afford a full donation of the cost of producing it.

I've discovered how to buy it in bulk cheaply. Shop collectives for prices, BOGO's and just about everything I can, short of "being brought down a dark alley"~~ much safer and within a reasonable price.

Do I recommend everyone use it and only it? No. I feel we need to have 'pill' alternatives, in case access becomes a problem. I don't think I'd be able to walk down a dark alley and I need a Plan B until our Gov't, gets real! which is why I am Fed Up!

Comment

Working...
                              X