Anyone from Canada on Gilenya yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone from Canada on Gilenya yet?

Sorry for the double post (I posted on the MS Canada section, but no answers in weeks).

I'm just wondering if anyone from Canada is on Gilenya yet?
    Nancy
    Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

I am in the process of getting tested to switch. Just went to the lab on Friday and going for my eye exam next week. Hopefully all goes well.

Are you on it or thinking of switching?

Comment

I'm in the process (as of this morning) from switching from Ty to Gilenya.

I'm in TO, where abouts are you?

Comment

chaseyshorts: I hadn't logged in in a bit since I felt like I needed a "break" from thinking about this... I answered your other post in the Canada section.

I'm back into thinking mode. Still haven't made my decision...

What made you decide?

Where in Ontario are you? I live just accross the river from Ottawa.
        Nancy
        Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Comment

Meegs - how did you switch over go?

I'm just north of Toronto, in Barrie. I wanted to switch over as soon as I heard there was an oral med. I've only been diagnosed for a year now but have been having trouble with the injections. Still, a year later, I have anxiety every time it's injection night. Thank goodness Rebif was only 3 times a week.

When my neuro gave me a choice between Copaxone and Gilenya, I went straight for the oral. All year I talk about wishing I could take an oral medication and now it's here! I'm a little paranoid with all the side effects but I'm praying for the best.

I've already been sick pretty much every single month since September. I don't know if it's because of Rebif or what but I've never been sick so often in my life. I'm already preparing myself to get more colds on Gilenya, the doctor warned me about being more prone. But it's already happening so I can live with that. Just hope nothing else major happens. Gotta pray for the best.

Comment

chaseyshorts i'm originally from Barrie.. but in TO now.

Switch is 'in the midst'...

Have to washout from the Tysabri first. i'm scheduled to start Gilenya on August 3.

Little worried about the no meds for a few months, but we'll see how it goes...

Comment

how long do you have to be on an injectable drug before you can go oral? haaaate needles and i have to start Rebif soon.
              "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much.” - Mother Teresa

Comment

Hey bellsy: the others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I really don't think there's a requirement to go on one of the injectable meds first... it all depends on what you choose and if your neurologist supports that (but even there, it's really your decision).

Just make sure to do your research so you can make a well-informed decision.
                Nancy

Comment

Meegs, that's too funny! We moved to Barrie almost 6 years ago and absolutely love it. I love being close to the city and close to the beaches.

As far as I know, you don't actually have to do injections first. I think they prefer you too but if you told your neuro that you'd prefer to just go with the oral they'd probably let you. It's worth a try if that's what you'd like to do. I for one am really happy about the pills.

I finally took my first dose yesterday. I went to a clinic where they monitored me for 6 hours. They did an EKG before I took the pill and then another one at the end of the 6 hours. Every hour they came in and checked my heart rate, blood pressure and temperature. All went good for me. My BP was kind of high at first but eventually went down to 130/80.

Thankfully they let my hubby stay with me to keep me company. They had a computer in the room which they let us use and even brought in a portable DVD player with movies for us. All in all it was a good boring day. LOL

Now I just pray that it continues to be good.

Comment

2nd day...

started my Gilenya yesterday
                    Just took pill #2.

So far... so good.

Heart rate dropped at the hospital yesterday but climbed back up before i left.

A bit nauseous and fatigued today, but c'est la vie!

Comment

Gilenya here in Ottawa

I started Gilenya in June and couldn't be happier. Not a single side effect (that I notice) and I don't miss Rebif one bit. Very happy so far. I also find my symptoms have been minimized.

Hope it goes well for you.
                      Dx May 2002 RRMS
                      Rebif Sept 2002 to June 2011
                      Gilenya June 2011 - present
                      EDSS 0.0

Comment

Working...
                      X