Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tysabri, medicare and Gilenya(very long!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri, medicare and Gilenya(very long!!)

please help me with some details...i'm at my 31 dose of tysabri & its working well for me--although i do hate having to get infusions every month...

earlier i had read that Gilenya was going to provide assistance of $800 per patient per moth and an additional $600 per patient for additional testing or monitoring.
    the cost of gilenya would be set at $4,000/ month.

that's too expensive for me, on a medicare part d plan with the donut hole. so i put it out of my mind as a possibility.

medicare approved charge for tysabri is $3,063 with a $140 charge for the infusion in WI----

so gilenya is more expensive than tysabri and since my tysabri is covered entirely by medicare & my supplimental insurance it would really be more expensive to me.

gilenya is outside of my ability to pay---so i wrote it off as an option. thought i had to stay with an iv med because i was on medicare---i'm still sick of the infusion and i was looking forward to lemtrada coming out late next year with its once yearly infusion(it's more effective than tysabri...but i'm doing well on tysabri so i don't need the increased effectiveness, its just the once a year treatment-that i find attractive in lemtrada)

so any way i read this reply in the tysabri to gilinya thread. reply #15 by scooter who says 500% of poverty and the drug is free of cost??? well i am below 500% of poverty line but i am on a medicare part d plan- with its donught hole

her reply here #15
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106589

in this article written in bloombergs it says the cost of Gilenya will be set at $4,000 with $800 per month assistance for co pays and $600 for testing.

what's the deal? is gilenya still to expensive for me? even if i get gilenya free of cost because of my income level, would i still need to get on to copaxone to prevent the tysabri rebound affect & would i have to get patient assistance for both copaxone & gilenya to switch?

last week i had my 6 month appointment with the doc and i told her i could not afford gilenya that because i was on medicare i had to stay with an iv med. i did ask her to reduce the frequency of my ty infusions from 4 weeks to 6 weeks & i told her i would be interested in lemtrada when it is released next year....but i wasn't interested in gilenya because it wasn't affordable to me, that i had seen what assistance they were offering and it was too expensive compared to tysabri for me.

but if gilenya is affordable to me i would be interested in that...i really do not need the greater eficiency of ty or lemtrada, i just need the affordability of on IV med while on medicare.

it will be embarrassing to have to bring this up at my next appointment if i was wrong---anyone switch from tysabri to gilenya while on medicare? is copaxone patient assistance needed too?
    xxxxxxxxxxx

OK I sound like an idiot here.

I read your post 4 times and I am confused as to what you are asking?

Are you wanting to know if Gilenya has support for those who cant afford it or who's insurance wont cover it?

Or are you asking if it is embarrassing to ask for support?

CrazyCatLady
    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

i'm asking if gilinya can be as affordable to me as tysabri? whats the difference, until i read that reply this after noon i though it was just financially out of my reach-didn't consider it like i wouldn't consider getting a new car..
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

did anyone on medicare and ty need to get an additional med like copaxone for the rebound effect when switching--did that happen? when on medicare?
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Have you talked to Gilenya about what they offer for aid? They can be very helpful.

1-877-408-4974

Let them know your situation with Medicare and see what they say.

CrazyCatLady

Comment

Thanks catlady for supplying the phone #--i went to their website, but it doesn't have anything about financial assistance on it, not the less than 500% of poverty & on medicare is dealt with. i'll call
            xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

So the story with co-pay assistance through Novartis is this:

If you have most kinds of insurance, they'll cover your co-pay up to $800 per 28 day supply through December 2011. We don't know what will happen after that, but my guess is they'll completely withdraw co-pay assist. The exception to this general rule of co-pay assist are certain types of government provided insurance.

If you do not have insurance AND make less than 500% of the poverty level, then the drug is provided free of charge. I don't think there's a time limit associated with this.

Comment

I would think the assistance people with Gilenya would have to run your specific question through their system.
                Each situation is different and can't be answered by an individual I don't think.. I don't have medicare so I could not help out

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
                  Thanks catlady for supplying the phone #--i went to their website, but it doesn't have anything about financial assistance on it, not the less than 500% of poverty & on medicare is dealt with. i'll call
                  Very welcome! Call them Monday Morning!!!

CrazyCatLady

Comment

I did call the 1-877-408-4974

to ask about assistance with Gilenia, especially if someone is 500% below the poverty level she was nice but could not tell me anything but apply and some one will tell you if you qualify for anything... their application is on their website.
                    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

i just made a excel spread sheet of the cost of gilenya & if a person has 80/20 coverage, novartis pays the 20% coverage so its free for the person....i just did the same for medicare part d with its strange levels.

month 1-
                      $265 deductible + $533 @ 25% + $1600(100% gap)=$2398.75 -($800 novaratis support program)=$1598.75 (pay)
                      month 2-
                      $1351.25(100% gap) + $132.42(5% catastrophic coverage) = $2648.75 -($800 novartis support program)= $1848.75(pay)
                      month 3-
                      $200(5% catastrophic coverage) - ($800 novartis support program)= + $ 600 ( receive)
                      month 4 -
                      $200(5% catastrophic coverage) - ($800 novartis support program)= + $ 600 ( receive)
                      month 5 -
                      month 6 -
                      month 7 -
                      month 8-
                      month 9 -
                      month 10 -
                      month 11 -
                      month 12 -
                      month 13 -

SUMMARY:

Month 1 pay $1598.75
                      Month 2 pay $1848.75
                      Month 3 get $600
                      Month 4 get $600
                      Month 5 get $600
                      Month 6 get $600
                      Month 7 get $600
                      Month 8 get $600
                      Month 9 get $600
                      Month 10 get $600
                      Month 11 get $600
                      Month 12 get $600
                      Month 13 get $600

Total get $3152.50
                      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

When i run the numbers through an excel spread sheet, a person actually gets money from using Gilenya while on Medicare.

i'm certain they don't give money away, but with medicare part d's weird "gap" coverage, where a person has to pay 100% of the med, it ends up being $1848.75 dollars that month they shift some of novartis support money from when the med is at a 5% catastrophic coverage level to pay for the gap coverage---then i'm certain they "0" the remainder out.

but still it makes Gilenya very affordable for even some BELOW 500% OF POVERTY!

no wonder the support person, Barbara, couldn't explain the coverage, she couldn't.

all i could think about was when i would be in the gap, having to pay 100% of the drug & she was looking at the overall cost.

i suppose at my next doc appointment i should fill out the forms? glad my appointment isn't until september so i have more time to think about this.

i need to call my part d insurance company to ask if Gilenyia is on their formulary if they cover Gilenyia.. i'll do that now might not be until September until doc gets Gilenya added to the formulary, if she does?. i. i'll update this thread with what happens for the next person on medicare looking at Gilenya.
                        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

No need to fill out the forms at my nexr=t doc appointment. they changed the drug formulary from last year and moved all the ms drugs to a different plan . since i was on tysabri, i didn't realize they had done that. i will not be able to change into the plan with the ms meds until Jan 2012---so i'm on tysabri until then. it's kind of a relief not having to make a decision until then, but a problem if i have to stop Tysabri i will have to find another iv med to go to, until i have access to the rest of the ms drugs in january.

i understood why they did it, get high cost customers into 1 plan a high cost plan....and all insurance companies will do that, but it would be nice if they required that if say more than 50% of the meds that treat your medical condition are moved to a different plan, then the person has to be notified by mail that it has happened.

gilinya cant happen for me until next year now. i hope ty keeps working for me for 9 more months.
                          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
                          X