Gilenya causing polymyalgia rheumatica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya causing polymyalgia rheumatica

Have been on Gilenya for year and a half and was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica four months ago. Has anyone had the same experience? Neurologist does not agree that Gilenya is responsible because there is no report in the literature for a connection.......

Sorry to hear that . I had some back pain while on Gilenya, but never developed your condition. It's hard to say for certain whether or not Gilenya had anything to do with you developing the condition. Polymyalgia rheumatica is thought to be yet another autoimmune disease that is of unknown origin. I had an unknown reaction to Rebif, but I got better once the drug was stopped.

There may be a link discovered after the drug has been on the market many more years. It does seem, however, that many people with MS also suffer with other autoimmune disorders.

Hopefully, you won't suffer from the condition much longer. I feel for anyone who has to deal with yet another disease besides MS.

Best wishes,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

It might still be a good idea to report your diagnosis of PMR to the manufacturer and to the FDA as a possible adverse effect of Gilenya. There might not be any reports of an association in the medical literature but for every association there's always a first time. There is such a thing as drug induced lupus so maybe there is such a thing as drug induced PMR?

PMR is not common in people younger than 50 so if you are under 50 Gilenya is a bit more suspicious as a cause.

Comment

Working...
      X