gilenya and shingles vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shingles vaccine and gilenya

It is my understanding that the vaccine should be given 1-2 months before starting gilenya. In my case my doc said it was ok to get the vaccine while I was on gilenya. Didn't make sense to me but went along with his advice. Had a problem and had to discontinue gilenya. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracelyn View Post
      From what I understand is that my antibodies for varicella was very low and since there is a chance of shingles with taking this, I have to take the vaccine and wait 4 weeks before taking my first dose.
      I am not sure from your post if your doctor is telling you that you are not immune to chicken pox (zero or very low varicella antibody titer), so you should have the chicken pox vaccine before beginning Gilenya. Chicken pox is usually much worse in adults than in children, all the more so if you happen to catch the chicken pox when you are immune suppressed.

Or is your doctor saying that you do have antibodies against varicella even if they measure low, therefore you have had chicken pox in the past and are at risk for shingles so you should get the shingles vaccine?

The shingles vaccine is FDA approved for ages 50 - 59 as well as those ages 60 and up, but not all agree with the approval for ages 50 - 59, so insurance coverage is often only for those 60 and over.

If your doctor is recommending the shingles vaccine for you at age 43 before beginning Gilenya, you'd probably want to discuss this "off label" use, because it is not FDA approved and thus there is not much, if any, safety data.

Comment

I have a very low antibody titer. She is very concerned about my risk of shingles. I had a very mild case of chicken pox, per my mom.

The doctor wants me to have the booster and wait 4 weeks before my first dose.

I am still on a holding pattern as I have yet to find a place that will administer the booster.

Comment

Finally about to get things moving so I can take my first dose, but I will not be able to take my first dose for 8 weeks.

My neuro wants me to have the chicken pox vaccine, then wait 4 weeks to take the shingles vaccine.

I guess when I had the chicken pox as a kid, I did not hold a grudge against the virus.

At least I am finally starting to make progress on getting my first dose scheduled.

Comment

Working...
          X