Gilenya, the sun, and vitamin D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya, the sun, and vitamin D

Out of the countless tests that were done last month when I was dx'd, the only one that came back as other than negative or normal was my vitamin D level - 16. Yeah, really low! And I have no idea why! So the doc started me on 50k I.U. a week.

What is the single best source for vitamin D? The sun, of course! (Well, actually, your skin, which processes the rays of the sun to produce vitamin D, but you know what I mean.) But I'm on Gilenya, and since one of the potential side effects is skin cancer, I was told I'm supposed to stay out of the sun. So, low vitamin D + Gilenya = lots of vitamin D capsules!

My question is this: Is it possible to still spend enough time in the sun to get vitamin D, without raising the possibility of getting skin cancer? Just how long would I need to be in the sun to get enough vitamin D?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

RRMS, dx May 2013, on Gilenya from May '13 - Aug. 14
    Currently following Dr. Jelinek's OMS (Overcoming MS) plan

I have had very low Vitamin D levels as well.

My neuro has me on 100k Vit D2 a week.

I will see her this week and see if has improved.

Comment

It takes a lot of sun to get our D to where it needs to be- more sun than most americans get being this far from the equator.

I would say to not worry about taking all that D, you probably can't get enough sun to raise your levels enough even if you forget about the increased sin cancer risk. I take 10,000 iu per day and do get out in the sun regularly but still have trouble keeping my levels over 35.

Regular blood tests for D will tell you if you are getting enough. If you do regular CBC and CMP (my neuro makes me do it for Gilenya) you can have them add D to that lab work.

Comment

I would say the short answer is no. When I was dx in 2010 Vit D was 13, which is not deficient but like your level insufficient. Have been taking 10,000 iu a day orally ever since. Serum level went from 13>25>43>59>69. As I remember the last blood work had me in the mid to high 50's. A study was done in 2007 (I think the link is at webmd) showing vit D effectiveness in preventing relapse, their serum level goal was 100.

Comment

Low Vitamin D

I have low Vitamin D as well. My doctor had first started me with 50k a week. Tests still came back low so we added 5k daily as well as the 50k weekly. Next test came back low so now I am taking 100k weekly plus 5k daily. It seems to be working for now. My blood work two weeks ago showed vitamin D in the lower end of the acceptable bracket.
          LIVING LIKE I MEAN IT

Comment

Is there a benefit to taking a lump sum of D3 weekly as opposed to broken up daily? Just wondering bc I see people do it both ways, sometimes at the same time.

Comment

Working...
            X