Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya + High Blood Pressure Medication

Howdy,

I know Beta Blockers and certain HBP meds and major no-no's for people taking Gilenya for MS. I know there is some safe ones though. My doctor is new to Gilenya so I'm helping him with some research on what people who have HBP and taking Gilenya are taking. I will be going to a Cardiologist in the future, but the waiting list is a killer, so I'm seeing what people are taking and what results they've having?

I hear certain Diuretics are alright with Gilenya?

Thank You

High blood pressure medication

Hi, I live in Israel and take medication for hypertension. I checked with both my neurologist and the Gilenya nurse. Both agreed that they are safe. One is called Tritace. The other is Tritace Comp, which contains a diuretic. The active ingredient is Rampril. I think the US equivalent is called Altace. But you would have to check with your doctor, and also clear it with Novartis. Get back to me if you have any more questions. I've been on Gilenya for two years and happy with the switch. Good luck. Liz

Comment

Thanks for the info Liz! I appreciate it!

Comment

I had to see the cardiologist before going on Gilenya because my EKG showed a QT interval that was normal, but on the higher end of normal.

The nurse practitioner who works with the cardiologist had spent years in pharmaceutical research before she began working in that office. She had actually read all the original Gilenya studies and about the cardiology aspects of using Gilenya before I came in to their office, so she was really knowledgeable! I got the impression that she knew a lot more about Gilenya and its cardiac effects than did the cardiologist. He's a fine cardiologist, but the NP took extra time to research Gilenya because she was interested.

She said that my diuretic was fine to take. The beta blockers can slow your heart rate, and sometimes as they do that, they make the QT interval longer, which is why they are not recommended. I take a second BP medication lisinopril, which is in the same family as ramopril - all OK with Gilenya as far as my nurse practitioner was concerned.

As always though, check with your own doc about your particular condition and medications.

Comment

Hi onlyairfare,

I was at my cardiologist last week and he works with all of my neuro's Gilenya patients when it comes to Gilenya/HBP. He seems legit but he recommended a beta blocker despite the no-no's of Betas/Gil.

I'm a little curious about it. I'm trying to lower my BP au naturale, but I feel a diuretic would seem more safe.

Thoughts anyone?

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
          I had to see the cardiologist before going on Gilenya because my EKG showed a QT interval that was normal, but on the higher end of normal.

The nurse practitioner who works with the cardiologist had spent years in pharmaceutical research before she began working in that office. She had actually read all the original Gilenya studies and about the cardiology aspects of using Gilenya before I came in to their office, so she was really knowledgeable! I got the impression that she knew a lot more about Gilenya and its cardiac effects than did the cardiologist. He's a fine cardiologist, but the NP took extra time to research Gilenya because she was interested.

She said that my diuretic was fine to take. The beta blockers can slow your heart rate, and sometimes as they do that, they make the QT interval longer, which is why they are not recommended. I take a second BP medication lisinopril, which is in the same family as ramopril - all OK with Gilenya as far as my nurse practitioner was concerned.

As always though, check with your own doc about your particular condition and medications.

Comment

Working...
          X