Gilenya safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya safety

Now that Gilenya has been FDA approaved for about 3 years (?), would you say it has proven to be a fairly safe oral option? I have been taking Avonex for 3 years. No major flares since my first one prior to taking Avonex, but two new lesions on my MRI. I would like to take a pill instead of an injection due to just being sick and tired/done with needles! I also still have bad side effects with Avonex. My neurologist has recommended Gilenya for me over BG-12 for two reasons. 1. BG-12 can cause a lot of gastro issues. 2. BG-12 hasn't been out for very long.
    I have a healthy heart. But the initial 6 hour heart monitoring is a little frightening. After the initial drop in heart rate/blood pressure, does that happen every time you take the pill? Or is it just after you take the pill for the first time? For those of you that have been taking Gilenya for awhile, do you worry about your heart? Or is this just an initial side effect of the pill?

So far, gilenya seems to have a good safety record for those without pre-existing heart issues. My heart rate did not change at all during the observation and I haven't had a problem in more than a year of taking it. I'm happy I switched from Rebif. Good luck with your decision!

Comment

Thank you BikeChik for your response. I have decided to start taking Gilenya. I'm in the process of getting all of my pre-tests done. I have heard many good things about this drug and am looking forward to taking it. Glad to hear it is working well for you.

Comment

2 years on Gilenya here

I've been on Gilenya for two years here. Absolutely no issues, and proud to say I ran my first half marathon last month in just over two hours. My ticker seems to be doing just fine.

Switched from Rebif after 9 years of needles. I was psychologically done with them. Best decision I have made WRT my medical treatment.

Good luck with your pre-tests.
        Dx May 2002 RRMS
        Rebif Sept 2002 to June 2011
        Gilenya June 2011 - present
        EDSS 0.0

Comment

Gilenya

I am thinking about asking my neuro if this would be an option for me. I am so tired of the Avonex needles. I have done well on the Avonex...just tired of needles. Have been on A for 15 years...since it first came out.

Comment

Working...
          X