flu shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flu shot

I don't know if I should get the flu shot or not. I know that the shot (not the live nasal dose) is recommended for those with MS but what about those with MS on Gilenya? Doesn't the shot also spark the immune system. Should I "spark" my immune system? Aren't I trying to calm it down with G? I am afraid it will fire it up and possibly cause my MS to flare.

I am on Gilenya and had my flu shot weeks ago. No side effects or issues whatsoever. You should of course talk to your doctor about your concerns.

It's my understanding that Gilenya is an immunosuppressant and therefore leaves you more vulnerable to getting things like the flu. This makes me want to have the flu shot even more than usual.

I'd rather have a few side effects happen from the shot (unlikely) than chance getting the flu (which people with suppressed immune systems are more likely to have severe cases or die from). Between 30,000 and 50,000 people die each year from the flu.

I'm not trying to scare you - just telling you like I see it.

Comment

I am getting my shot too

Just as soon as my husband has time to take me over to it. Flu is an ugly thing to have.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

ok I'm going to get my shot today. I agree with you both. Thanks for responding

Comment

Originally posted by metwo View Post
          ok I'm going to get my shot today. I agree with you both. Thanks for responding

I got the shot and did not have any trouble with it . Increased fatigue but that is all and like some of you told me those small symptoms are better than getting the flu. I'm pretty sure I would be hospitalized if I did get the flu and am taking Gilenya.

Comment

Flu shot or not....

Way back when, I was told to avoid flu shots. At the latest MS workshops I've attended we were told it was ok.

I've had the shots for the last 2 years as well as the shingles shot.

Shots didn't seem to do anything to me. Haven't ever had the flu or shingles since I came down with MS. :-)

Comment

Working...
            X