Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Gilenya Soon! Help with what to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Gilenya Soon! Help with what to expect?

Hi! I've been on Tysabri for 14 months, but due to melanomia history and JC Virus positive, my neuro is taking me off Ty immediately. His plans for me is to start Gilenya.
    Can anyone tell me what to expect during my dry out period and with starting Gilenya?

Nothing happened to me after I stopped taking the rebif. I had to do a bunch of tests prior to taking the Gilenya -- to make sure its o.k. to take, and to establish baselines. The day of the first pill was just one very long and boring day at the doctor's office (thankfully they had movies). Your heart rate can go way down, so they want you to walk around as much as you can, which I continued to do for a week or so at home because I was a little nervous. I started to get at least 50% less headaches (I didn't realize how bad it was on the Rebif). Now my white blood cell count is way low, which makes it much easier to catch things, but so far it has been worth it. I have actually been eating terribly (not Gilenya's fault, just mine) but strangely I haven't gained any weight at all. That's my experience so far. I have been on it about 3 months. Hope that is helpful.

Comment

As4ourhaus,

Thanks for all the things you included in your post, and how "unbiased" you wrote it.

I am getting ready to pressure my neuro into starting me on "G". We have discussed it once-briefly, since I was on Tysabri at the time. I have had a Tysabri "wash out" for 6-7 months now.

Thanks for any advice/opinions you OR ANY OTHER "G" USER will share.

LaTish
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I didn't have any issues during my first dose observation, nor have I had any issues since. I have been on Gilenya for just over a year and it has been a real blessing, so far. Just had my first MRI done and everything was stable...not much activity. I still have my days but, for the most part, it is working wonders for me whereas Avonex did not. Hope it works well for you!

Comment

Working...
        X