Gilenya and T-Cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya and T-Cells

So I went on Gilenya about 2 months ago (after my white blood cell counts crashed on the interferons and after testing positive for the JC virus).

My neuro's office called me about a few weeks ago to tell me that they have noticed that several of their patients on Gilenya have had dangerously low t-cell counts and they wanted all of their patients on it to be tested immediately and then monthly after that.

I went in to have my blood tested - the next day my doctor called back saying that my t-cell count came back at 13. "Normal" is anywhere between 1500-500. At below 200 HIV patients are put on medications to up their immune system. Below 20 is considered "critical". So at 13 my doctor was shocked. She had me go and get my blood drawn again to make sure it wasn't a lab error and pulled me off the Gilenya immediately.

The next test (which I took 3 days later because it was over a weekend - so I'd been off the Gilenya for 3 days) came back at 16. I talked to my neuros NP that day and she said out of 28 patients they have on Gilenya, they have gotten 20 results from the tests back and ALL of them have tested under the 200 danger zone for t-cells, most of them were in the 50-100 range, I took the cake, lucky me, when I tested at 13. They are taking everyone who tests low on their t-cells off of Gilenya and trying to discuss these t-cell levels with AIDS and HIV doctors to find out what the danger is to their patients, because that is basically what is happening to these patients put on Gilenya - they're getting an artificial AIDS-like reaction.

The good news is that the t-cells seem to bounce back pretty quickly. The NP told me that when they've pulled patients off of it their blood work 2 weeks out have all tested over 200, so whatever the damage is it seems to go back to normal fairly quickly.

I was discussing it all with the NP when she called. She told me that in the Gilenya studies only 17% of patients had a dangerously low t-cell count happen, and so far their 20 out of 20 patients reporting back dangerously low is obviously not jiving with those numbers. My doctor is speculating that they pulled those who this happened to out of the study quickly and only kept those in the study who were able to keep up their t-cell count.

So here's a bit of a warning to those on Gilenya - call your doctor and get a CD4 blood count done! We knew our immune system would be lowered on this medication, but I don't think any of us thought it would be killed off almost entirely.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I hope your T-cells climb back up quickly. This is just one of the reasons why it's important for neuros to actually order regular bloodwork. I've not had this issue pop up thankfully, but I have had several other issues pop up.

Also, ask your neuro to make an adverse event report to the FDA. It's important that they know about this as well.

Keep us posted on how you do.

Comment

Actually, I may have just lied. I got interested and started googling and it looks like T-cells are a sub-type of lymphocyte. IF that's the case, my lymphocyte counts have taken a dive, that was too low or close to being too low a couple of times. My neuro's office caught it quickly both times because of how often they were testing my blood and after about 10 days off of gilenya, my counts were back up to acceptable ranges. My body has since acclimated and I've stayed northwards of 200 ever since.

Comment

They told me that they did report it both to the FDA and to the makers of Gilenya. And, yes, it is SO important to get regular blood work done when on any MS medication, especially something as new as Gilenya.

I'll keep you updated on what happens at my two-week-out blood test (which will be on Friday or Monday). Here's hoping everything has bounced back quickly. And I did get sick yesterday, so I'm hoping it has gone up significantly from the 13 and 16 it was and I'm able to get over whatever it is that I am sick with without any issues.

Comment

Yes, the t-cells are a type of lymphocyte. I'm glad to hear that yours has been able to hold steady above the 200 range after taking a break.

Since I'm already ruled out of the interferons and Tysbari my neuro is contemplating putting me on Gilenya at a lowered dose or something like every-other day or every few days and watching my blood counts like a hawk. But that's all up in the air still and depends on what my two-weeks out blood work shows.

Comment

Good luck with it all! It sucks if you go more than 14 days and have to do all the pre-testing all over again, but it'd be worth it just to get your counts back up.

Keep us posted! Best of luck and I'll be sending good juju your way.

Comment

The t-cells and b-cells (T-Lymphocytes and B-Lymphocytes) are the main types of lymphocyte cells. Both are now considered to play a role in MS.

The T-cells are produced in the thymus and the B-cells are produced in the bone marrow.
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

So here's a bit of a warning to those on Gilenya - call your doctor and get a CD4 blood count done! We knew our immune system would be lowered on this medication, but I don't think any of us thought it would be killed off almost entirely.
                So what is the actual impact of the lowered cd4 count?

There are currently over 11,000 people taking Gilenya - surely if this was a real issue there would have been some problems identified?

More than 11,000 people in the U.S. have been prescribed Gilenya since it became commercially available on October 4, 2010. Novartis continues to regularly submit Gilenya safety updates to the FDA and health authorities worldwide. The safety profile of Gilenya remains consistent with the current U.S. prescribing information.
                http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...w/pageid/1309/

Comment

As I understand it getting sick is just an additional risk with Gilenya because your immune system is suppressed. However, at a certain point the suppression becomes dangerous. If you were to become sick at that point things could become serious, because most medicines work with the immune system and if your immune system is below the safety net, the medicines might not work at all and you could potentially die from what was otherwise a completely curable disease.

It's such a beautiful morning out right now that I feel a little weird posting this.

Comment

I understand that - but I am still not sure that there is any actual evidence that a low cd4 count in Gilenya patients has adverse consequences

As I said - there are 11,000 people taking the drug in the USA alone - where are cases where people are dying etc from infections related to low cd4?

Comment

My neuro's office felt it was too risky to keep their patients on the drug with CD4 levels at such drastically low levels. They preferred to pull their patients off of it until they could discuss with immunology-specializing doctors what low CD4 levels alone would do to patients, than risk them getting sick while this discussion was going on.

All my point was to make others aware of it. Perhaps others' doctors aren't doing regular blood work on them (as mine actually wasn't doing until they had a few problems with a few of their patients). As a patient I'd rather be informed that my CD4 levels are considered "critical" than be oblivious to the fact. And, honestly, knowing this, I'd rather go off the Gilenya since my levels were so horrendously low until they do figure out what the danger, if any, there is from such low CD4 levels.

I just think that as patients we have the right to be informed about these things, and hopefully we can share these things with others so they know what to look out for as well and make their own informed decisions.

Comment

white blood cell count

Just had my CBC done after 3 months on Gilenya. It was 3.8 and they told me the normal is 4.4 to 10.4 so it was low and should be taken in another 3 months. They didn't break it down into T or B cells. Should they have?

Comment

I just think that as patients we have the right to be informed about these things, and hopefully we can share these things with others so they know what to look out for as well and make their own informed decisions
                          Given that the impact of low cd4 is unknown I don't think they would be making informed decisions at all - just being scared by something they don't understand.

If my neuro pulled me off gilenya because of something that they didn't understand and I had a relapse that led to me becoming more disabled I would be very angry indeed

Comment

Originally posted by shalimar View Post
                            Just had my CBC done after 3 months on Gilenya. It was 3.8 and they told me the normal is 4.4 to 10.4 so it was low and should be taken in another 3 months. They didn't break it down into T or B cells. Should they have?
                            You could always call them and ask if they have the breakdown of it. I'm not sure if it's on a whole separate blood test or if it's in the CBC panel.

Originally posted by batman12
                            Given that the impact of low cd4 is unknown I don't think they would be making informed decisions at all - just being scared by something they don't understand.

If my neuro pulled me off gilenya because of something that they didn't understand and I had a relapse that led to me becoming more disabled I would be very angry indeed
                            Well, IMO, they are doctors and are making a somewhat educated guess based off of the years of schooling and practice they've had.

And it's your prerogative to choose to risk the possibility of getting seriously ill on Gilenya vs having a relapse and all the problems that a relapse can cause. The same as people taking the risk with PML with Tysabri, some feel it's worth the gamble, others, like myself, don't.

Again, I was just letting others know that something is happening with people's T cells on this drug - what they and their doctors choose to do beyond that is their decision.

Comment

And it's your prerogative to choose to risk the possibility of getting seriously ill on Gilenya vs having a relapse and all the problems that a relapse can cause. The same as people taking the risk with PML with Tysabri, some feel it's worth the gamble, others, like myself, don't
                              But with over 11,000 people taking the drug and with it being on the market for almost a year why are there no reports of people becoming seriously ill because of low cd4?

It is nothing like PML and Tysabri because there is no evidence that there is an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X