Gilenya & eye floaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya & eye floaters

Started Gilenya 4 days ago. Feel totally fine except for these pesky "eye floaters" where I see these little things floating in the air. Sometimes just 1. Sometimes more than one. More noticeable when I read.
    Anybody have this happen?

Hi nvd:
    With rare exception, medications don't cause true, physical floaters. Any new onset of floaters should be checked by an eye doctor -- not a GP or neurologist, as neither is trained or equipped to properly examine eyes -- to evaluate for a physical change inside the eyes. The doctor can rule out potentially serious physical problems and determine whether you're seeing true floaters or "virtual" spots, which can be a neurological consequence of medications. As part of the screening process before starting Gilenya, you should have been examined by an ophthalmologist. That doctor likely has the most recent records about your eyes so is the most logical place to go.

Comment

Before I stated gilenya I also had the eye exam and then 3 1/2 months later I had the follow up just to make sure I didnt have the macular edema that gilenya can cause.

Between the 2 exams I was given a card to look at. It is a grid and you are supposed to look at it and make sure all of the lines are straight and not bendy at all. You do each eye seperate from the other.

Anyway while doing this between the 2 appts I was so worked up about not seeing correctly that I was driving myself crazy. I have always had floaters but now I was always looking at them!

I guess I have no point to all this rambling other then to say I have floaters too and have had them since I can remember but I notice them more now because I am so aware of my vision and how things look.

CrazyCatLady
      MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by nvd12345 View Post
        Started Gilenya 4 days ago. Feel totally fine except for these pesky "eye floaters" where I see these little things floating in the air. Sometimes just 1. Sometimes more than one. More noticeable when I read.
        Anybody have this happen?
        Not to alarm you, but I think you should get this checked by your eye doctor, as it was one of the things the eye doctor told me to watch for, when I went for my pre-Gilenya eye test. She said if I see more floaters than usual, to contact her asap.
        Nancy
        Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
          Hi nvd:
          With rare exception, medications don't cause true, physical floaters. Any new onset of floaters should be checked by an eye doctor -- not a GP or neurologist, as neither is trained or equipped to properly examine eyes -- to evaluate for a physical change inside the eyes. The doctor can rule out potentially serious physical problems and determine whether you're seeing true floaters or "virtual" spots, which can be a neurological consequence of medications. As part of the screening process before starting Gilenya, you should have been examined by an ophthalmologist. That doctor likely has the most recent records about your eyes so is the most logical place to go.
          I read your message after replying. I agree with what you said.
          Nancy
          Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Comment

It wouldn’t hurt to have another consultation. My doctor of choice is Dr. Alan Carlson at Duke Eye Center in North Carolina. He’s extremely knowledgeable and very helpful with all kinds of eye complications.

Comment

Originally posted by lasikeye View Post
              It wouldn’t hurt to have another consultation. My doctor of choice is ...
              Why would someone in Chicago travel all the way to North Carolina for a simple eye exam that can easily be done by any number of ophthalmologists and optometrists in Chicago?

Comment

I've had floaters for years. They could be nothing, but you should have them checked out because they might be a retina problem.

I don't do the Amsler grid test either--for the same reason. It was driving me crazy!

I hope that your floater issue is not a problem and simply something you jave to learn to live with. Please let us know.

Liz

Comment

Working...
                X