Avonex to Gilenya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex to Gilenya?

I have read conflicting reports on whether or not a "wash out" period is required when switching from interferon to G. I'm worried because I had a massive flare the last time I had to stop tx for 6 weeks.

Thanks!
    Melissa Goerke
    [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

The prescribing information for a medication contains the "official guidelines." The prescribing information for Gilenya does not require a washout period. (It contains the usual verbiage about "use caution.") However, because Gilenya is so new, some doctors have chosen to follow the protocol that was employed in the clinical trials, which used a washout period for all the CRABs. Some docs impose a short washout period for the interferons, but not for Copaxone. But there's no official "requirement" for one.

Comment

In December I stopped taking my Betaseron on a Sunday (last dose) and started Gilenya on Tuesday (2 days later.) Both my neuro and I decided against the washout because my MS was soo soo active and I didnt want a time when I wasn't on something. My neuro said something about Gilenya taking a full 2 months to reach the highest levels in your system so maybe that is why he felt OK about switching me with no washout?

Anyhow it is now the end of June and I am still doing OK.

CrazyCatLady
      MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Working...
      X