Gilenya CD4 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya CD4 Question

I have been on G for 5 months & my Lymphocytes dropped down to 502 and have rebounded to 553. My WBC went from 2.4 to 2.5. Neither unexpected as G is supoposed to do this. My MS neuro just recentlyordered a check of my CD4 count (Tcells) and they too are very low - 32 (absolute). The concern is that very low CD4 counts can lead to 'opportunistic infections'. Fortunately I have been doing well on G with only two colds that I took Zithromax for. Has anyone had a similar experience with low CD4 counts. It is good to see the lymphocyte counts stabilizing, however the CD4 counts was unexpected.

Any information is appreciated.

Al

I've been on Gilenya for 5.5 months and my CD4 counts were low also when they were checked several months back.

My neuro did not seem concerned.

I'm having some major problems now, not certain if it is caused by the Gilenya or the Gilenya is contributing to it. Today is the last day I'm taking it.

I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

I had on and off issues with my lymphocyte count. The second time my neutrophils and other parts of the white blood cell count were also off. The problem ended up correcting itself. I got pulled off the drug for about 10 days total overall.

Hope that the count issues right themselves for you. Keep us posted.

Comment

I spoke to my MS neuro who said it was OK to re-start Gilenya after an 8-day lapse. My CD4 count did go up to 140 which is still way too low. However, CD4 counts were never tested in the clinical trials and apparently after she checked w/ her peers not too many are checking for this either. She is still concerned about my low CD4 count & the increased risk for opportunistic infections. However, since there really is nothing to compare G and low CD 4 counts she will no longer monitor CD4 counts.

Comment

Working...
        X