About To Start Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About To Start Copaxone

WOW, I am suppose to start taking Copaxone in a week or so, but after reading some of the posts here I wonder if that is a good idea????

It's a better idea than taking nothing at all. You always have to weigh drug effects with what MS looks like untreated. And the best time to treat MS is before it gets bad. The more damage you have, the less the drugs can help you.

For most people, Copaxone is inconvenient, but side effects are minimal. I've been on it for almost 3 years myself. I'm only just now having my first relapse, and it's pretty mild.

That said, it's not a very effective drug. And I think there's a trend toward starting newly diagnosed MSers on more powerful drugs. I plan to switch to something stronger soon, myself.

When I was newly diagnosed and freaking out about drug side effects, my neuro encouraged me to look at the potential side effects for ibuprofin. EVERYTHING has a long list of problems for someone. But overall, Copaxone is pretty safe. You'll be fine.

Comment

I was dxed in Oct. 2005 and was on Avonex until Dec. 2009 (taken off do to concerns about my heart) started Copaxone Dec. 2009, 7 days a week, then per neuro went to 5 days a week (20 mg) and now on Copaxone (40 mg) 3 days a week for about 7 months. I have had no major flares on either med., but Copaxone side effects are a lot easier to deal with then Avonex.

Comment

Now What

Now that I am on Copaxone, what am I to expect? Hate to sound dumb, but am I suppose to feel better or what????

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
          Now that I am on Copaxone, what am I to expect? Hate to sound dumb, but am I suppose to feel better or what?
          Not a dumb Q, but (unfortunately) C isn't supposed to make you feel better. It only slows down the progression to feeling worse. On the other hand, it seems to have the least side effects (for most people), and is even safe for people with previously-compromised immune systems (like me!).

I hope the injections are going OK for you...
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Effectiveness

Why is Copaxone considered not a very effective drug? If it is, why is it prescribed?

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
              Why is Copaxone considered not a very effective drug?
              The effect of DMTs is measured in terms of the 'typical' rate of relapses. C reduces the rate of relapses by about 30%, while some others do better than 60%.
              If it is, why is it prescribed?
              There are lots of possible reasons, but in my case it's because C is the only DMT that does not have a negative effect on your immune system and mine is already compromised. For some people it's all about the side effects and for others it's because their insurance covers C best...
              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Hi TomD- I understand your ambivalence about starting Copaxone. I was diagnosed in 2005 but my Neuro advised against starting a DMD but the Neuros at the MS Clinic advised me to start. I had only had one relapse since 2005 until October of this year. My Neuro finally advised to me start the Copaxone. I was approved for the 40 mg and just started it in early December. I am happy to report that it has not been that bad. The first time I injected I did experience a burning sensation in my chest but it was not that bad since I knew it might happened. I just breathed through it and it went away after 15 minutes. This has not happened again.

Since I am new to the injections I take notes about each injection site so that I know what to expect. I also love the Copaxone App that helps you keep track of the injection shots.

Good luck!

Comment

I forgot to add to my original response that I would not advise not taking the Copaxone like I did. I probably should have listened to the Neuros at the MS Clinic

Comment

Working...
                  X