Flu Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu Shot

Hi! I'm a teacher and I'm on Copaxone. Since I don't have a clue how Copaxone works, I don't know if I can still get a flu shot. Is my immune system compromised? Is it modified? I'm confused!!!

Hi kim-mastro,

The flu shot is not only considered safe for MS patients, it is also recommended. From the NMSS:

The Academy of Neurology, in collaboration with the Immunization Panel of the Multiple Sclerosis Council for Clinical Practice Guidelines, published a summary of evidence and recommendations regarding immunizations and MS. They concluded that:

The evidence supports strategies to minimize the risk of acquiring infectious diseases that may trigger MS relapses (also called attacks or exacerbations).

The influenza, hepatitis B, varicella and tetanus vaccines are safe for people with MS.

Decisions about the potential benefits and risks of any given immunization should be made in consultation with your healthcare providers, including your family physician and neurologist.

Special considerations

People who are experiencing a serious relapse that affects their ability to carry out activities of daily living should defer vaccination until 4-6 weeks after the onset of the relapse.

Inactivated vaccines are generally considered safe for people with MS, including those who are taking an interferon medication (Avonex®, Betaseron®, Extavia®, Rebif®), Aubagio®, Copaxone®, Gilenya®, Novantrone, Tecfidera® or Tysabri®.

Live, attenuated vaccines are generally not recommended for a person with MS because their ability to cause disease has been weakened but not totally inactivated.

People on therapies that suppress the immune system, such as Cytoxan, Imuran®, Novantrone, Rheumatrex® and/or chronic corticosteroid therapy, should consult their neurologist before taking any live-virus vaccine.

MS experts are not in agreement about the risks for a person with MS whose close family member receives a live-virus vaccine. The family should discuss with the neurologist how best to handle this situation.

Specific recommendations for people with MS

2014-2015 Injectable Seasonal Flu Vaccine (includes H1N1)

The 2014-2015 inactivated seasonal influenza (flu) immunization (Fluzone) is a single injection that provides immunity to three different flu virus strains: the H3N2 virus, influenza B, and this year's H1N1. It is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for everyone over 6 months of age. The seasonal flu vaccine has been studied extensively in people with MS and is considered quite safe, regardless of the disease-modifying therapy they are taking.

A high-dose inactivated flu vaccine (Fluzone High Dose) is available for people over age 65. The Centers for Disease Control does not specifically recommend the high-dose vaccine for people over age 65 and the high-dose vaccine has not been studied in people with MS of any age. For these reasons, the National MS Society continues to support influenza vaccination (flu shots) for people with MS but recommends that only the standard dose be used. If additional data for Fluzone high dose in MS patients become available, the recommendation may be revised.*

FluMist® is a live-virus flu vaccine (sometimes called LAIV for "live attenuated influenza vaccine”) that is delivered via a nasal spray. This live-virus vaccine is not recommended for people with MS.

You can read more about vaccinations here:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...s/Vaccinations
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Flu shot

I was just about to submit this question. Beautifully answered.

Thank you

Comment

I've gotten the flu shot while on Copaxone and had no problems.

Comment

Remember, the Copaxone goes into the fat and the flu shot goes into the muscle.
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Flu Shot

Thanks so much for your help! We have already had a couple of suspected cases at school so I'm going to get the shot Thursday. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X