pain during injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pain during injection

I was recently diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. I began copaxone 2 weeks ago. A nurse showed me how to use the autoinject. I've given myself 5 injections so far. It HURTS every time. I did my thigh last and it hurt as the med was being injected. I feel like I'm doing it wrong. Do I need to adjust the needle on the autoinject?
    Also, I am so nervous about that IPIR that I've read all about. I'm focusing on it all day long and obsessing about it. When I'm preparing my injection, Im scared it will happen. Will I ever get used to this? Do people stay on this forever? Or do you eventually stop? Any advise would be appreciated.
    April

I can't advise if copaxone is right for you. You should discuss this with your neuro.

However

I can tell you what I experienced.

Immediately after injection, I felt like I drunk 500 cups of coffee. It took about 1/2 hour to come down from this rush.

Then about an 1 later, I started to have hallucinations and hearing voices.

After that long and frightening day, I made up my mind that I would never take copaxone again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jola View Post
      Immediately after injection, I felt like I drunk 500 cups of coffee. It took about 1/2 hour to come down from this rush.

Then about an 1 later, I started to have hallucinations and hearing voices.
      Wow!! I've never heard of such a horrible reaction, no wonder you stopped.

I'll post a more positive experience so the OP can see another side.

I've been on C for almost 7 years, this is my routine...

- I sterilize with antibacterial baby bum wipes vs alcohol swabs to cut down on the sting.

- I give the site a big pinch then manually inject into it.

- this is the most important part... when the needle comes out, push down on that little bump that forms with your finger for approx 30 seconds. I am 5' 8", 125 lb so not a lot of fat, this step has eliminated any permanent lumps forming under the skin.

- ice for a minute or so.

- apply Benadryl cream, or any anti itch cream.

I really hope you find the right method for your injections. It's one of the drugs that has the least amount of side effects. Hopefully others will post their positive experiences and you can try other ways. I must admit it took me a couple of months to get this technique figured out, now it's just part of my bedtime routine, no "biggie".

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

"It HURTS every time."

What type of pain are you feeling, burning or muscle pain like a charley horse or something else?

Comment

I'm feeling a burning pain. When I injected into my thigh, I felt the burning AS I was injecting. Usually it's after the injection.
          April

Comment

The burning gradually lessens and pretty much disappears over time. Many say 4-6 months. That was the case for me. I have been a Copaxone user for just over a year and barely feel anything from the shots anymore.

I have always used a heat pack for 5 minutes prior to injecting, rather than the 1 minute that is recommended. I ice afterwards for 5 minutes - the recommended time is also 1 minute.

Getting the injection depth right is very, very important. It took me many months of trial and error to get each spot at each site to the optimum depth. Too deep and you hit muscle (painful). Too shallow and you have a lump.

Good luck!

Comment

I can remember how shocking my first injection felt, like a bee sting, but after a few I got used to it. There are still times when one will really hurt but I just ignore it.

For some reason my stomach is usually fairly painful and will swell around the area when I inject there, not much fat in that area, but I'm not positive that is the reason.

Good luck!
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Some injections I barely feel. Others feel like venom spreading to surrounding tissue. Today was especially uncomfortable. My whole leg hurt pretty intensely. I think I didn't let injection come to room temp. Last time for that

Comment

Working...
                X