generics are coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

generics are coming

I told my neuro a while ago that I was more interested in getting a cheaper generic glatiramir acetate (Copaxone) than injecting 3x/week.

Yesterday he told me that he doesn't think Teva will win in court, and at least one generic will be available in about a year (or maybe even less). He's pretty sure that the availability of the cheaper generics will cause prices to drop on all the other injectables, too.

(He's #2 at the Stanford MS clinic, so I expect his guesses to be good...)
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

If one of the companies decide to risk offering a generic Copaxone before the court case is settled they do so at their own peril. If Teva was to win their case the companies would owe Teva financial compensation for violating patents.

The previous discussion on the subject is located here: https://msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132472

I don't see generic Copaxone garnering much marketshare unless insurance companies force the issue. Especially since Teva has been working hard to switch patients over to the 3x/week Copaxone-40 dose that will have no generic equivalent. Generic Copaxone will not only be competing against Copaxone-40, but also Plegridy and the stronger oral medications. Estimates are that in 3 more years 50% of the marketplace will be orals. I just don't see any pent up demand for generic Copaxone.

Comment

Mark, thanks for this news.

I'm also on C (the 20cc daily version). $4500+ @ mo is, is, beyond words.

J

Comment

Wealth Distribution 101

Americans with insurance are subsidizing patients across the United States and the world. It's one of the way we flex our $17.5 trillion debt to subsidize healthcare in other countries.

Comment

Working...
        X