New co-pay $80 a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New co-pay $80 a month

Dang, I just changed jobs and found out my new copay.

I remember when my copay was $30 then $60 now $80. Oh well I guess I should be thankful I have a job and am able to afford it, right?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Call Shared Solutions and see if you can get it for free. They offered me assistance and there was no income verification requirement.
    Take care, Wiz
    RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by ewizabeth View Post
      Call Shared Solutions and see if you can get it for free. They offered me assistance and there was no income verification requirement.
      Hi Wiz,
      Thanks! I never considered this option.

Do you think that since it is coming through Shared Solutions maybe it is only dipping into their company profits?

I'd love to save almost a thousand dollars a year but don't want to do it if it means someone less fortunate can't get their medication.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

they offered it to me. I think it has something to do with getting folks on the new formula. I'm guessing that it benefits them in some way.
        Take care, Wiz
        RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by ewizabeth View Post
          they offered it to me. I think it has something to do with getting folks on the new formula. I'm guessing that it benefits them in some way.
          Thanks. I'm still on the old dose so maybe that won't be the same but I'll call. Have a great weekend.
          Anonymous

Comment

Co-Pay assistance has always limited the copay to a maximum of $30.

Comment

Yes, but Shared Solutions

doesn't help everyone - if it's not financially advantageous to them, they will not assist you.

Comment

Thanks all I'll let you know what happens. I'm heading back to my neuro the end of this month so I am looking forward to see what he says about the 120mg dosing vs. 140mg a week.
                Anonymous

Comment

Teva offers one of three co-pay programs, $0, $30 and $35 (I have had the $0 copay with both doses), all offered to anyone who doesn't have a government funded insurance, like MediCare/Aid or military plans.

As explained to me by Shared Solutions, the program involves a deal between the insurance companies, participating pharmacies and Teva, with Teva giving a discount rate to the pharmacy and the insurance company agreeing to cover it. I imagine government plans are less likely to cover the difference the patients would have paid than private insurances, so they don't qualify.

I've had something like 6 insurance companies since starting Copaxone and while I have had all three prices, as insurances switched, I haven't run into one that didn't cover the deal or a pharmacy that didn't work with the co-pay program.

Basically, if you pay more than $30 co-pay, don't have a government plan and aren't re-imbursed 100% by insurance, call Shared Solutions for their co-pay programs.

Those who have a government plan have to deal with the needs based co-pay assistance programs that may not actually be connected to Teva. Those are harder to deal with and a person may be denied, where the "regular" co-pay programs only require a participating pharmacy. Not to mention that those programs have limited funding themselves, so they can't always pay the whole co-pay or even an amount that leaves an affordable balance.

Jules A, since you have private insurance, you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

$$$

I paid $35 a month with the 20mg but when I switched to the 40mg, they gave me a $0 copay. I think it has something to do with the generic version that they're fighting. The 40mg has a patent for years and years to come whereas the 20mg will be offered in generic form in the near future (as soon as the courts battle it out). It's advantageous for Teva to switch people to the 40mg so they can continue charging the insurance companies outrageous amounts.

All about the almighty $.

Comment

Those programs are only offered to

people that have low out-of-pocket costs thereby, they still make a profit. They have told me that the maximum they will assist, i.e. pay to the pharmacy, is $500 per month. So if your insurance covers less than $500 per month of the cost, there is no assistance from Shared Solutions.

Comment

PS re Teva assistance

I have private insurance - always have. I purchase it myself - it's an individual policy with BCBS and have done so for over 15 years. (Prior to that, I had insurance through an employer for many, many years.) My premiums as well as the cost of Copaxone have skyrocketed.

Comment

Thanks all! I'm going to see my neuro next week and am interested in seeing what he says about the new 40mg Copaxone.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                          X