Trying Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying Copaxone

After a yr on Avonex (yuck) and 8 months on Tysabri, my white, red and liver counts were all over the place. The Dr now wants me to go on Copaxone 3 days a week. I am not going lie, after the Avonex I am so scared because of how awful I felt for 2 1/2 days after each shot for a year. Before anything begins I have to go in next week for 4 days of IV steroid treatments, which also I am not looking forward to because we are planning a vacation in 2 weeks. ( I know that sounds a little vain, but I would like to fit into my clothes on vacation) I just don't know what to expect with the Copaxone and feel so alone in this process. I think the fear of what the Avonex did has so much control over me and I hate it. But I have no one to talk to. I just need a friend to tell me honestly the good and the bad,

Hi, I took Copaxone for many years...loved it! But eventually my MRI revealed that it was not working for me.

The drug itself was easy to take. I did one shot a day at the time and didn't have any physical side effects really, except for a red bump at the site every time I injected. This is really common. You can use heat or ice to make it calm down. After a while Copaxone will leave divits in your legs and arms, or pretty much everywhere you give your shots. These don't go away.

There are no flu-like symptoms with Copaxone, you hardly know you took it, except for the stinging red mark it leaves behind (no big deal though, you will get used to this and learn to treat it).

I hope the three times a week works for you, I wish that had been out when I was using it .

Keep us informed.
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I've been on C for almost 7 years with really good results, no steroid-worthy flare since 2009. A few new lesions just showed up on my latest MRI but will be redone in 6 months, but still taking C, at least for now.

It's really a breeze to take once you master your own way. Please post for tips here, some will work, some won't, trial and error is the only way. The best tips I've received we're right here.

You asked for "the bad" and I honestly can't say anything bad about it (other than it sucks to have to do a needle). Rebif was horrible, so glad to have been switched to C. I'm sure you will be too. Please keep us posted!
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

The bad? Itchy lumps. No flu like side effects. I was in the rare minority that got nausea from it, but it was mild and short term, thankfully. I would choose it every day of the week and twice on Sundays over Avonex, which was not kind to me.

Comment

Working...
        X