Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've learned in 5 months of injections

Hi all!

I am nearly 5 months into Copaxone injections and wanted to share a few tips of things I wish I had known when I started.

So, I am a needlephobe. Yeah. I figured I'd get over it, and I guess I kind of did. I am a lean man, which I never thought would be a bad thing, until I had to take a daily sub-q shot.

2 weeks into injections, I had to ditch the Autoject. It just didn't work for me. It hurt. I couldn't get the depth right (even at 4 for all sites on a lean person). And mostly, I was scared to press the button! Sometimes I'd sit there for 20 minutes before finally pushing it, then I would jump and the needle would come out and I'd have to shove it back in quick before all the Copaxone came out.

So, I switched to manual injections about 2 weeks in. Yeah, for a needlephobe it was scary. But here's how I did it, and here's what I learned:

1) Pinch good. I do it nice and tight. You don't need a lot of skin in that pinch. I found the tighter I pinched (within reason, don't hurt yourself) that the prick of the needle hurts less.
    2) Before you take that cap off...push the plunger. It will make it slightly easier to begin the plunge once you're in.
    3) Needle orientation is important! I didn't realize the needle has a shape |/ Since you go in at a 45 degree angle, you'd think you want the pointy side to go in first...I found it hurt less if the other side went in first. I know, sounds wrong, but it hurts me less.
    4) Don't look if you're a needlephobe. I get the needle where I want it and in the right orientation, then don't look while I poke. Once I've poked, I make sure I am in all the way, then plunge, then look away while I pull it back out.

I found that I wanted to be able to do my shot just about anywhere, like if I was out to dinner, or with friends. So, I do my shot with no hot packs or cold packs. It took some getting used to, but I found I didn't need them after awhile.

And YES, there will be a period where the injection gets itchy, and YES, believe people when they say at 4 months it goes away. I didn't believe it, but then it just cleared up for me. Now I hardly ever get welts. Maybe a little redness. I do have a lump for about 2 days at each site, but nothing major.

I've also shaved my stomach (ah yes, a guy) as the abdomen shots would get very irritated with my hairy belly rubbing against the injection site. It feels silly that I do this, but I know it helps.

I have gotten that terrible post site reaction they tell you only 13% of people get. And yes, it's terrible! You'll know right away if you've gotten it. Your head will get hot before the plunger is all the way in. I then got a rapid heartbeat, and breathing. I mistakenly laid down. You're supposed to sit up. It kept up like that for about an hour until it calmed down. But then I had the chills for about 2 more hours. After that a rushing feeling for about a day. This is what happens when you happen to inject into a vein. It's supposedly rare. My neuro thought I was just getting sick. Hmph. I read all the documentation, and know what's up. I called SS and told them too.

Anyway, I hope that helps someone out!
    T.
    Amateur Astronomer in Colorado. Diagnosed Aug 2, 2013. Keep on looking up!

Great tips T. Especially the plunger, I've been on C over 6 years but never thought of that. Just wanted to add a couple if you don't mind...

- sterilize with baby bum wipes, cuts down on the sting when using alcahol swabs.

- re that bump that forms, push down firmly on it with your finger for approx 30 seconds... the bump disappears. I have no permanent bumps, no sites that I can't inject into due to them either. I'm 5'8" 125 lb so not a lot of fat, still no bumps.

- whether you ice or not, apply Benadryl cream (or your fave anti itch cream.

I hope you have success with COpaxone! Needles suck, but sure is better than the alternative.

Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks for the info and tips. I will be starting Copaxone within the week.

Comment

Colorado,

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to start the manual training tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous. I hear it's better than the auto injections so we'll see if it works for me.

I've been on Copaxone for 8 weeks now.

Comment

Not all Autoject users have users. In fact, I would guess that the majority of users have no issues. The key to success is to get the depth setting correct for each injection site. But once you figure out the right depth setting, using the Autoject is simple, fast and convenient.

Comment

Sorry, the first sentence in my previous post should read "Not all Autoject users have issues"

Comment

9 1/2 months and counting...

I just have to say, I was NOT thrilled at the idea of needles everyday but I've found manual is pretty easy. I follow Jen's advice about applying pressure right after and it really does cut down on bumps, welts and itching. THANK YOU, JEN!!

I started by icing immediately afterward but then went on vacation and didn't have the option (hadn't thought of that part) and found it wasn't that bad and I don't even bother now.

I am still terrified of the scary post injection reaction but knowing that it seems to happen if you inject into a vein or even knick one, I only push the needle all the way in if it doesn't hurt. If the tip hurts going in, I will reposition and make sure I'm getting only fat. (I'm 5'9" and 120 pounds so that's not always easy.) So far so good but now I have to go knock on some wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                that bump that forms, push down firmly on it with your finger for approx 30 seconds... the bump disappears. I have no permanent bumps, no sites that I can't inject into due to them either. I'm 5'8" 125 lb so not a lot of fat, still no bumps.
                Jen,

I was told specifically not to do this by SS. Did they train you to do this?

Also, my SS nurse said that when manually injecting the needle must go all the way in at a 90 degree angle, but I see many people say they inject at an angle??

Comment

I just started manually injecting and it's a lot easier than the injector pen which is what I started with. My husband does the hard to reach areas like my hips and the back of my arms. I'm two months into the shots and still have site reactions even with pressing down with the cotton ball. Everyone is different. I was told by my SS nurse to inject in a 45 degree angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Noah091 View Post
                    Jen,

Also, my SS nurse said that when manually injecting the needle must go all the way in at a 90 degree angle, but I see many people say they inject at an angle??
                    I do the 45° in my arms

Comment

Jen,

No, they didn't. I remember them telling me not to rub it, I used to be on Rebif, which rubbing helped. I actually read it right here.

As far as the actual injection angle, I pinch the site then inject into it. That gets it at the correct angle. I guess it's a matter of whatever works. I've been on C for over 6 years... and it's doing what it's supposed to do... no steroid worthy flare since Jan/09!

Jen
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Right angle

Jen,

Never heard the 90 degree angle, but it's the 'right angle' that you are looking for. So it's actually a straight in injection, not supposed to be leaning one way or the other.

Diane
                        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Great tips! A gentleman at Shared solutions shared this useful tip with me:

Make sure the syringe is at room temperature when you inject. When it is cold, it can cause more irritation.

I keep ten days worth at room temp and the rest in the fridge until I need the next ten.

Another way to warm up the medicine, is with the cap ON, roll the syringe between the palms of your hands for about fifteen seconds.

I was on Copaxone for six years with no incident (yay, Praise. God!) and used an autoject, easier for me the manual. When I first started I would get that bump or bruising feeling in my thighs. I kept ice on the injection site for about ten min after and it was fine.

Seriously, I had no issues besides that and it DID go away! Six years later my thighs are still more sensitive than other areas of injection sites, but pain subsided for sure, so hope that helps if you're just starting out.

I say WAS because I recently stopped for two months and have been on Tysabri. Well, let me tell you- what works for one person does not work for all. My body is not reacting well to it all, and I'm planning on going back to my beloved Copaxone next month. We are incredibly blessed to have options.

I went off it as a hope for better symptom and flare up management. The Copaxone definitely slowed the progression of new lesions but the MS. Symptoms progressively declined and solu medrol was becoming too frequent.

Now that I know Ty isnt right for me at the moment, if rather go back to a therapy that doesn't add more fuel to an already burning fire.

Keep the faith with finding the right DMT, the love connection is out there
                          There is always a rainbow!

Comment

Originally posted by DianeD View Post
                            Never heard the 90 degree angle, but it's the 'right angle' that you are looking for. So it's actually a straight in injection, not supposed to be leaning one way or the other.

Diane
                            I used to be a nurse and a "sub-cutaneous" (sub-Q) injection is supposed to be at about a 45 degree angle if it is done manually. The AutoJect is done at a 90 degree (straight in) angle because the setting takes into account the levels of tissue the needle should to go through.
                            Copaxone needs to be injected into the fat layer, and depending on how much fat you have, that will determine either the actual angle (45 +/- ) the needle needs to go in if you're doing manual, or what number you set the AutoJect at.
                            I did the AutoJectfor about a week, but then went to the manual injection, which, to me, was a lot simpler. I've been on C for about 8 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                              Great tips T. Especially the plunger, I've been on C over 6 years but never thought of that. Just wanted to add a couple if you don't mind...

- sterilize with baby bum wipes, cuts down on the sting when using alcahol swabs.

- re that bump that forms, push down firmly on it with your finger for approx 30 seconds... the bump disappears. I have no permanent bumps, no sites that I can't inject into due to them either. I'm 5'8" 125 lb so not a lot of fat, still no bumps.

- whether you ice or not, apply Benadryl cream (or your fave anti itch cream.

I hope you have success with COpaxone! Needles suck, but sure is better than the alternative.

Jen
                              Both you and Cat Mom have good points. I do think it's a good idea to loosen up the plunger prior to injection. I'm going to try that. However you are supposed to knock any liquid off the end of the needle. I point the needle upwards and if I see any leakage I flick the glass a couple of time which knocks it off. I also think it's important to wait till the antiseptic dries before injecting.

Diane
                              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                              X