Out of injection sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of injection sites

I am not able to inject into my legs or arms it causes such pain and very large welts/ red bumps. My dr said try just using spots that have more fat so I'm just injecting into my stomach and hip area. By the time I get back around from the stomach to the hip i still have many lumps under the skin ugh. I'm also extremely itchy! Anyone inject into the buttocks?

Noooooooooo!! Don't inject into the buttocks, as they are deemed to be muscle... not the Brazil Butt Lift muscular, but not a fatty area.

What are your injection techniques? How long have you been on C?
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I just started a month ago. Was on avonex but had a baby Abd was reluctant to start again and have the flu symptoms so dr recommended copaxone. But it's awful. The lumps and itchiness is driving me crazy. She saud to stick with fatty areas since the arms And leg injections were awful. But it's not enough other areas.

Comment

have you tried self injecting? I can't stand using the autoinjector especially on my thighs. By doing myself vs autoinj I can control how slowly the medicine goes in. SOOOOOOOOOO much better. Onlys stings a minute or two AFTER I inject but not really during the injection.

Just a suggestion if you haven't tried already. I'm finding the Copaxone stings so much less than the Rebif. That was a relief since I am now injecting every day vs 3 times a week.
        Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

I'm going to try that but I'm still hesitant by the reactions I got in legs and arms. Do you also get large lumps?

Comment

Wookieland..get rid of the auto injector and try manual injection as suggested. Have you tried heating the areas first prior to injection and icing afterwards?
            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

You need to contact your nurse for a followup visit. The problems you are having are typically related to incorrect injection depth. And they should clear up anyway in a short time. And certainly before you would have to use the same site a 2nd time.

Comment

Originally posted by wookieland View Post
                I'm going to try that but I'm still hesitant by the reactions I got in legs and arms. Do you also get large lumps?

I get various sized lumps but not everytime...and only one on my leg was what I consider large. I spoke to the nurse today and discussed how important it is to gently massage the areas that get lumpy but ONLY after 24 hours post injection. She said to try and keep about 2 inches from the lumps when I inject again. I expect them to go away over time. I gently rub everytime I think about it...like if I'm sitting watching tv I'll massage my thigh which is where I noticed it the most. The arms are much smaller. I haven't been on Copaxone that long so hopefully I won't have any lasting issues with lumps.

Wishing you the best on whatever decision you make. There are other injectables that may work better for you if you end up stopping the Copaxone
                Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Buttocks work for me

although shared solutions specifically told me not the best idea. But.....i really have no fat on my legs either (and big, nasty, itchy bumps despite trying EVERY variation of manual injection technique). A lot less pain at 45deg angle, but more itching.

I get itchy nasty welts everywhere but my arms, but nowhere as bad as my legs.

Anyway. Buttocks, not where you sit and not in the back (a. hard to reach, b. giant nerve) works for me at a 45deg angle re: not a lot of fat. I've been told that if I can pinch some fat and don't see any veins, it's all good. But check with your nurse first, because considering the plethora of bruises in which I am covered, I am no authority.

I've just decided that itchy welts being the biggest problem in my life is just.... not a thing I'm going to care about.

Comment

Pain here!

I also have welts (hive like) on my legs when I gave myself injections there. I think I am going to take some advice from the others and do manual on the thighs because of the depth of the medicine. I can't comment on anything else considering I have only done 3 injections, stomach, did not hurt at all, just a little stinging, each leg hurt realllllly bad, tonight is the thigh I am going to try the auto injector for the first site and if it is to much I will not use it on the second side. The arms I worry about because of what people are saying so wish me luck! I am guessing with time I will know where and how deep to do injections, but right now it is a learning process.
                    Currently in Limboland / "probable"?
                    CervMRI 1 Lesion/Brain MRI 2 "small" Lesions
                    LP/umm proteins are high?/Bloodwork/not normal

Comment

I too am running out of injection sites and have modified my shots to 5days/week alternating between arms and thighs. My arms and thighs look so bad and I find it a bit depressing. Even my Pilates instructor asked me what happened to my arms.

I guess if the medication made me feel better or that I knew it truly worked to prevent exacerbations, that would help. But I feel like these injections are a leap of faith that the medicine will help prevent lesions and relapses and no one really knows how well it truly works.

My latest thought is to begin the new year injecting every other day rotating through the seven sites. I have probably had MS for 15 years before diagnosis, but only diagnosed for just over four years....if I lived that long without the DMDs, maybe I won't progress too much more with limited meds or even no meds......like all of you, no easy answer.

Best to all of us in this crazy life with MS!

Comment

I am not a doctor or a nurse my recommendations are simply made on my experience. You should, as I recommended previously, talk to your doctor, nurse that assisted you or Shared Solutions.

If you are injecting properly, you should not have the issues you are having. You are injecting just below the lower side of the skin, which I believe is about 1/16" thick. As such, you should be able to inject anywhere. But you need to get the depth settings correct or you will have discomfort injecting too deep into the muscle or not deep enough which will give you bumps on your skin.

I have to guess that you are not the first person with this issue. You need to get some professional help from those that really know. Don't wait.

Just curious... what kind of instructions did the nurse that originally helped you give you. He/she had to be aware of your situation.

Comment

I posted this in the wrong thread before.

I gained 30 pounds over the last seven years or so, up to 142 and I have no problems injecting now. I used to fret about body fat but I am happy at a normal body weight now for my height and age and I am much healthier overall as well. Something to think about if you diet or have poor eating habits!

I am pleasingly not-quite-plump. My injections are very easy now that I have some body fat. I don't know if this is possible for you but it really helped me.
                          Take care, Wiz
                          RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Nah, wherever I aim, still hurts these days, seven times 365 for Copaxone plus five times 120 for Beta. Nice plump buttocks were best; not anymore.

Stomach is worst for pain, arms worst for swelling.

My friend, who has Type I diabetes, said to lower the depth of the injection. Worked for a while.

I've got bugger all muscle tone left, so it's all fat.

Comment

Your 'sitter downer'...

Originally posted by wookieland View Post
                              I am not able to inject into my legs or arms it causes such pain and very large welts/ red bumps. My dr said try just using spots that have more fat so I'm just injecting into my stomach and hip area. By the time I get back around from the stomach to the hip i still have many lumps under the skin ugh. I'm also extremely itchy! Anyone inject into the buttocks?
                              Itching is usually a reaction to the manitol in the injection. If you look up Manitol you see the reactions to it. I really have problems with that too.

I'm having trouble finding sites, so I did try my bum, but you have to sit on it and mine hurts. Doesn't seem ideal. Still depends on the person. Just have to pinch the fatty part so you don't get the muscle.

Diane
                              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                              X